One of my babies (RIR) isn't doing well... (NOW both chicks vomiting)

2pyrs

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 21, 2010
My husband brought home two baby chicks from the feed store nearly two weeks ago; they were probably about a week old when he brought them home. I posted here asking for advice on how to house them, and thanks to some of the advice we were given, we've got them in a large cage with a (red) heat lamp borrowed from a friend of mine. They've been doing well - and getting big - until yesterday when I noticed that one of them seemed to be less active. S/He's mostly just sitting, usually with eyes closed. It's not really eating anymore, and I don't know if it's drinking (as I had to take my daughter to the doctor today). Every couple of minutes, this little one emits a pitiful little peep. Otherwise, it just sits in your hand with eyes closed - or like yesterday, s/he curled its feet up and almost laid down in my hand. It seems rather wobbly now, too - like walking is just too much effort. I suspect this doesn't bode well for the little one. Any advice on what to do? The other chick is doing great, but s/he chirps constantly - almost like s/he's alarmed and trying to get some help for the other one.

Baby is on medicated chick starter (Kruse food) and has vitamins and sugar added to the water (which is mixed fresh daily, and changed 3-4 times a day). They're kept in a bathroom with the heat lamp on one side of the cage (and an equally sizable area away from the light in case that's too warm).

Thanks,
Natalie

Last edited:
Dribble some vitamin water on it's beak, try giving it some scrambled egg.

Has it been gaining size, then stopped? Or has it stayed small like it never grew? Any other symptoms?

Is her vent clear (pasty butt)?

Also - at two weeks, you should probably not put sugar in the water anymore. Usually that's just to get them revitalized after travelling. I don't imagine that's the problem, but just something to know.

Good luck!! I hope you can get her figured out and better!!

They were both doing great - they've got feathered wings and nice little set of tail feathers. This one was slightly smaller than the other one at first, but now the only way to tell them apart is that one has a lighter beak and the other has a dark tip on it's beak. They seem twice as big as when they arrived nearly two weeks ago.

No other symptoms than what was mentioned - lethargy/sleepy (eyes not often open now), weaker now to the point where standing up seems to a chore (2 days ago, this one was going all over the cage, like the other one), possibly not eating at this point, ...poor baby, it's breaking my heart.

I'll see if I can find a syringe to help get some water into it, and I'll go scramble an egg right now.

Thanks,
Natalie

ETA Vent is definitely clear; this one seemed to have slightly looser stools than the other one did (my son called it a rocket-propelled pooper), but obviously, that's changed now.

Last edited:
I was able to get some water into baby, but not egg. How do you feed egg to a chick who won't open his beak?

Eyes were open a bit more after the water, but not a whole lot. A couple of times, the little peep would stand up and stretch wings, but then s/he'd sit back and close eyes again.

Natalie

I'd post this in the emergency section. Maybe someone there can help you better. You can't really force the chick to eat, but it's not a good sign that it won't take just a little bit of egg.

Good luck.

I would get rid of the sugar too, I read here it can cause loose stools. I would try a tiny syringe and see if you can get it to take water, then some chick food diluted. I did get my sick one to eat like that, good luck...

I've removed sugar from the water (well, I replaced their water and omitted sugar when I added the vites).

I'll post in the emergency section; both chickens are now "throwing up".
sad.png

I'm so sorry this is happening to you!! Try organic apple cider vinegar, it has to be organic with the mother in it. Use a capful for a quart sized waterer, 2 tbsps for a gallon sized waterer. This will give them needed vitamins/minerals and will help with their digestive as well as their respiratory system. Sugar water is just for energy, and normally used for stressed chicks due to shipping. Try the vinegar and here's hoping your babies perk up soon!

Back
Top Bottom