One of my baby chickies died

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Linda91722, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Linda91722

Linda91722 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2008
    California
    [​IMG] I am sad, I went to check on my nfour little chickies and one of them was dead. There is no way anything could get into the cage they are in or even get a claw in. I was wondering, could they have a heart attack if something scared them. My dd heard a noise and the girls swaking but she did not go outside so when I went to bed them down for the night one of the (My black beauty sexlink) was dead. I could just cry she was so sweet and nice, she was already letting me hold her and eat from me. She was only 1 month old dose anyone have any ideas as to what may have caused her death?

Linda

2. Shelanie

Shelanie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2008
    Southern California
    Quote:Im so sorry. It could have been anything. Maybe she had something genetically wrong you would have never known about.

3. Linda91722

Linda91722 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2008
    California
    I know your right I just got attached to the girls and now one is gone, I just hope whatever it was dosnt affect the other girls.

4. Shelanie

Shelanie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2008
    Southern California
    Quote:I completely understand. They really grow on you. They allhave thier own personalities. Where in California are you?

5. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I am sorry you lost your little girl. [​IMG] They can be scared to death but it is not an every day occurrence.

6. mksenoj

mksenoj Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2008
    UpState, New York
    Sorry for your loss.

7. Unfortunately, this happens quite alot. I have had many cluthes hatch out and have nice baby cihicks for a few weeks to a month and one day I find one dead. I keep them in my house in a clear storage container with a 100 watt light bulb, lots of starter, always fresh water and I always check thier little butts. It just seems that around that age something happens. Suffocation, genetics, not eating properly, not hydrating, who knows. I am pretty aware of diseases and I rarely mix up clutches for the age difference can be a real problem. Right know I have a clutch (Incubated from eggs by the girls in the barn) from about 3 weeks ago and 5 new ones from the girls (they sat on them) at the barn. They are in separate containers in the front kiitchen with water, starter, a heat source and new bedding every so often. We also have 4 silkeis in the "Nursery", a port. building with partitions, heat lamps, fans, an electric oil heater and doubles as my work shop. You really get attached to these little buggers, especially at that age. Sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by