One of my Bantams died.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kakashiashi, Feb 1, 2011.

1. kakashiashi

kakashiashi New Egg

Feb 1, 2011
    Well i recently bought 2 bantam hens as pets about 8 weeks old. One is energetic but scared and the other didnt really do much... This week has been all 35+ degrees and i was worried about them becuase i hadnt bought them any "dust" or like things they cool themselves with...

So anyway one day i found that one chicken had strange thing like near its bum so i started to worry and my friend said take her to the vet. So afterwards me and my dad checked it out and it was like dead feathers.. it was a little bit strange but anyway today it was about 40 degrees and so i got them like a birdbath so that they can wet their feet to cool down.. and because the other one would follow the other so i but her into the bath. The other hen would get in and out but the other just sat there... I thought she was lazy because wherever you put her she didnt care and just sat there... (she ate and drank though) So afterwards I went out and left them there but when i came back the lazy hen was in the bath dead. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Does anyone know why she died? I suspect that she may have been sick..
    Also if i get another hen to accompany the other, do they have a chance that they will fight?

Awaiting replies, [​IMG]
    kakashiashi

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

[​IMG] I am sorry for her passing, it does sound like she was ill.

[​IMG]

3. Luvroos

Luvroos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Fredericksburg
    Sorry for your loss, I think that it'd be better for her that you find another hen, chickens are flock animals and prefer groups or they get lonely! A bird bath, that's a neat idea! Did you use this for their drinking water? I would probably use it for a dust bath! She could had had cocci at that age and this might be what killed her.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by