One of my birds has watery stool...do i treat them with something

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DeAnna314, Jan 10, 2011.

1. DeAnna314

DeAnna314 Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2010
    Fayetteville, NC
    I have ten chickens. Half are 10 months and five are about 7 months. They have been housed together for some time. Today it snowed and they elected to stay inside (doesnt snow much here so I guess they were freaked out). I noticed tonight that somebody has watery stool. I also noticed some stool that was yellowish/orange-ish. I dont know what to do, if anything. Do they need medicine in the water for awhile? Do you know what kind? No one seems sick but I don't know. Help?

2. Zoey

Zoey Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2009
    Big Island, Hawaii
    I posted in your other thread ...

3. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    Quote:This sounds completely normal to me - if no one is acting sick or looking sick then carry on as usual!

4. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    Quote:Just saw your answer - I was not taking this as diarrhoea - just a watery poo. Not too sure now DeAnna - you need to do a search on here to get moe advice!

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I recommend you take a poop sample to your vet and have it checked out. They can determine whether it's internal parasites or coccidia. They would most likely have to send a sample off to a lab at your request for further analysis...to determine what you're dealing with, whether it be bacterial, viral or fungal. It would help to know if all your chickens were eating/drinking normally? Have you visually inspected them for lice/mites? Here's the poop chart so that you can compare pics (graphic) http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

6. DeAnna314

DeAnna314 Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2010
    Fayetteville, NC
    Thank you all.....The poo pictures were actually quite helpful. Since my girls stayed in all day I had a rare visual depiction since they gnerally run all over the yard. I will try to get them to come out today but keep them in the enclosure close to shelter. I am currently not employed with something full time...but part time things here and there so the vet is not an option. From what I saw from that link though, they are just fine. Also as far as I could tell everyone is eating and drinking normally. Thank you for the replys!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by