one of my broodies sleeps under the other with the chicks... too cute

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by flowerchicks, Jul 29, 2011.

1. flowerchicks

flowerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    n. california
    OK, I hope this works, I have never posted a video before. I have 2 chickens (same age) that went broody at the same time, soooo, I gave them some eggs and let them share the sitting duty (neither actually laid any of the eggs). They were both very diligent about staying on or near the eggs until they hatched. The chicks are almost 2 weeks old, and Clover, my teeeeeeny tiny silkie, has decided she would rather be the baby than the momma. I call her "big sis", because she is still very protective, and shows them food, but Olive is DEFINETLY in charge. I think it so cute how Clover just climbs underneath Olive when its time for bed, before the chicks, and then pokes her head out to see whats going on. And, Olive doesn't seem to mind at all. [​IMG]

2. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    As Roxie Hart says "and that's because none of us got enough lovin' in our childhood!" Olive seems like...well...a real mother hen! Sweet and funny video, thanks for sharing.

3. flowerchicks

flowerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    n. california
    she's only loving with the babies and Clover. I have 2 scars on my arms from her from a year ago, and she went after my rooster today (the daddy of 2 of the babies), and I had to rescue HIM

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by