One of my Buff Orp hens pecks my boots or leg, then squats!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickensAreSweet, Nov 21, 2010.

1. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Every single day, there is one same Buff Orpington hen that pecks my leg or boots, then squats expectantly.

I have tried saying "no," in all different kinds of voices- mad, kindly, etc.

I have tried pushing her away.

I have tried ignoring her.

I have tried shouting at the top of my lungs, "stop!!!!!!"

I have tried petting her on the neck like I do the other hens when they squat in front of me, and saying, "Hi Gurdy!"

How do I stop this behavior? Nothing seems to work. It hurts when she pecks me.

2. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Our biggest BO (Daisy) pecks us for attention, she is the only one of our 22 pullets that does. She loves attention, when I have the time I pick her up and hold her close for a few minutes and that seems to satisfy her.

3. ChickensAreSweet

Boo-Boo's Mama :

Our biggest BO (Daisy) pecks us for attention, she is the only one of our 22 pullets that does. She loves attention, when I have the time I pick her up and hold her close for a few minutes and that seems to satisfy her.

I guess I should just accept that this is how she asks for snuggles. Thank you for the response!​

4. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    All my Buff Orp hens do that - all eleven of the little buggers! Wearing a long skirt helps, as they tug on that instead of my leg. Also I can flap it at them, which sometimes slows them down a little.

I've noticed they do that when they aren't free-ranging. I think they're craving more variety in their winter diet, and they think I'm the walking food-dispenser. So I collect weeds, other folks' veggie trimmings, and so on, to give them.

Mine sometimes squat, too. I thoroughly established myself as top rooster, and it affects the hens, too. They're so funny - they'll peck me, then step back and look into my face. If I bend over to pick them up, they squat and then settle down into my hands. When I put them down, they ruffle up and shake themselves as though they'd just mated. They evidently approve of their top rooster - I give them lots of good food and never stand on their backs! [​IMG]

5. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

[​IMG]

She is telling you to "do your job" - she thinks of you as the head roo.

When she squats, give her a little body rub. [​IMG]

6. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm so relieved that ALL of them don't follow me around pecking me. [​IMG]

My DH gives them a back rub and they walk away ruffling their feathers. [​IMG]

7. ChickensAreSweet

Quote:Wow, eleven of them, eh?

[​IMG]

8. ChickensAreSweet

Quote:Yeah- maybe I need to put some roos back in with these girls. I recently separated my flock into bantams and LF. All my roos are bantams.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  9. OrpingtonManor

OrpingtonManor Building the Castle

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    Quote:Yeah- maybe I need to put some roos back in with these girls. I recently separated my flock into bantams and LF. All my roos are bantams.

the bantam roos wouldn't be bothered by the girls' size. they would give it their best effort. [​IMG]

10. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    half of my 21 hens do that to me, sometimes it get annoying, like when you are trying to walk, but I just grab a handful of boss and toss it in the opposite direction of where I am going and then they leave me alone for a few minutes, at last long enough to get what I needed to get done. Afterwards I pet them thy squat a few times and then they get up on thier roosts, sort of as if to say they are pleased and going to bed now.

my dh has one that adores him, will chase off any other hens that come near him, but then he has one that hates him and will practically chase him around and try to peck him or fly at him. If she sees me she does not do it though, but will keep a close eye on him and bawk at him intensively.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by