One of my buff orpington hens has a hurt wing and foot HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mrs. Fluffy Puffy, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Hi this is Mrs. Fluffy Puffy, I have a buff orpington hen with a hurt leg and her wing is limp! Does she have a brocken wing??? On her leg she has a few scales missing. She can still lay eggs I just don't know what to do! Any advice would be welcome! Thanks Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

2. cobrien

cobrien Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Oakland, CA
    Can you post pics. Stop bleeding if you haven't already by applying clean towel or bandage with gentle pressure. Take her in and keep her warm if you haven't already. A cardboard box with some pine shavings (maybe a towel over for a day to keep shavings out of wound) in a heated 70F-80F room with good ventilation. Give her some food and water, maybe turn on the lights every few hours if you can, tempt her to eat and drink. If she is lethargic she may be in shock, unless you plan to take her to the vet I would try to limit stress. If she is active and alert I would gently clean wounds, apply neosporin (no lidocaine) and bandage, keep wounds clean.
    Colleen

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  3. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Can you give us a bit more info please?

Is she eating and drinking? How long has she been like this? Is she putting any weight on the foot? Are the leg and wing injury on the same side? Could she have fallen off the perch and injured herself?

First thing you need to do is separate her from the flock so they don't beat her up and bring her in where it's warm and quiet. If you have electrolytes, put some in her water to boost her a bit.

The more info you can provide, the better the chance someone can help you!

4. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I can try and post pics tomarrow. No, the wounds are not on the same side I don't think, I'll have to look tomarrow. Yes, she is eating and drinking just fine. Well she's been hurt for 2 days I think. No, I don't think she fell off the roost, but our dog may have bit her or something. But, she does have a chunk/scrape out of her leg though. I did remove her to my hutch that is warm and dry. She can hop around on one foot and then she'll just kinda lay over with her wing all limp. Okey I'll try that! Thanks for the help.

5. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    This is the hurt hen: And this is how she hops around. Any ideas? Oh, this morning I tryed to pull her leg down and look at the cut and it would'n budge! It was stuck to her breast! So I think it might be brocken or something like that? [​IMG] [​IMG] Any advice? Thanks Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

6. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    How is your hen this evening? Any change?

7. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Well she can still eat and drink but I tryed to pull her leg down and it was stuck to her breast and it was all cold and stiff! She layed an egg today so at least that's one good thing![​IMG] I think she's gonna have to be a " House chicken" or somethin'! I tryed to put a friend in there with her and do you know hat she did????? She got her by the comb and drug her around the pen! So I guess they didn't like each - other! lol

8. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    I may be wrong but it appears to me that she is using the wing to support herself when she is squatting. Does she move the wing at all when she is up? In pic 2, it appears that she is holding the wing up.

9. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I never thought of it that way, but I was messing with her wing and it went " Crack"! It was really weird! I wasn't pulling on it or anything but I was just touching it and it did that? If I try and pick her up her wing will go limp and she'll start squawking at me. She can't move the hurt leg at all. No, she doesn't move her wing at all when she hops around.

10. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Any body????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by