One of my cage models I have built

Discussion in 'Quail' started by TedJan92_in_Idaho, Oct 22, 2011.

1. TedJan92_in_Idaho

TedJan92_in_Idaho Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Cocolalla Idaho
    I have been busy lately preparing for my quail season. I have 12 of these built for bobs. I hope to house 2 pair in each section. The total cage is 8 feet long, 14 inches tall and 36 deep. I guess take off 2 inches for the roll out egg floor. 6 stalls in each. Floor had 1 3/4 inch drop from back to front. These will be inside. I will probably stack them 4 high. I am 6'4 with gorilla arms so I should be able to reach everything OK. I am going to do 12 more but they will be all wire construction. I'm still waiting on my door latches.

The new ones I am building now ate the same dimensions but have no dividers for coturnix

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Very impressive there! [​IMG]

3. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    Nice [​IMG]

4. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Looks Great!
    I hope your latches get there soon!

5. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Wow! Would you like to make me a few, too?
    I am debating getting a few jumbo coturnix just to see if I like the taste of their eggs and them...
    I have a question... how big is the gap for the egg to roll through on the front?

6. jbourget

jbourget Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    nice breeding pens. ive been busy making hutches as well. lots of hard work put into a hobby thats for sure!

7. TedJan92_in_Idaho

May 27, 2011
    Cocolalla Idaho
    Thanks!!!! The ones I'm working on now are like the GQF breeding pens but will be about 16inches wide and 34-36 inches long. All metal and wire. These wooden cages would of be a lot nicer if I had bought the lumber instead of recycling pallets. I think they still turned out OK. I do get some really nice pallet wood. I drive a freight truck and I have customers keep the nice ones for me. Sometimes I have to buy a few 2x4's but get most of them from the large 8 and 10 ft pallets. [​IMG] Cut through a nail the other day and ruined a $60 saw blade. [​IMG]

8. TedJan92_in_Idaho

May 27, 2011
    Cocolalla Idaho
    Quote:half the width of a 2x4 or 1 3/4 inches. I hope that isn't to much

9. jm93030

jm93030 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Very goon design ..I really like it

Do you mind if a make one like that? [​IMG]

10. chickbird

chickbird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Quote:FOR THOSE WHO LEAVE OPENINGS FOR EGGS TO ROLL OUT...ARE YOU CONCERNED THAT SNAKES CAN ENTER THE OPENING? YOUR CAGES ARE REALLY NICE. I JUST GOT THRU DOING ONE OUT OF SPLIT TWO BY FOURS FOR A COLONY CAGE, I DID NOT LEAVE THE OPENING BECAUSE WE HAVE LOTS OF NON=POISONOUS SNAKES.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by