One of my chickens ate part of an egg today... I think

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by StaatsFarms, Nov 25, 2009.

1. StaatsFarms

StaatsFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Nebraska
    Does this mean the aren't getting enough calcium??? the egg was busted open in the nest box and have never been like this before

2. They eat them and it stinks! I dont know why...Sometimes mine eat one, sometimes they dont. I had (past tense) one hen that ate the other hens egg everyday.

3. StaatsFarms

Jun 30, 2009
    Nebraska
    I thought I read a post somewhere on here that if the eat the eggs it is a sign a low calcium... I tried doing a search and came up with nothing... so I thought i would throw another question out about it and get some opinions

4. imtc

imtc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2008
    I know some will say not to but I give mine theirs sometimes (like when it's too poopy for me to want to clean or I have too many) and they LOVE it. Just added protein & calcium. I don't think it means they are lacking in nutrition..just that they like it. I don't have a problem with my hens breaking and eating their own eggs but I think that is the main reason people would say not to...just a bad habit to start I guess but I've had no problems with it. Totally normal for them to eat them though if one happens to break.

5. StaatsFarms

Jun 30, 2009
    Nebraska
    I'm hoping it got broke on "accident" and that they aren't going to make a habit out of this...

6. LAMchop

LAMchop Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    SW VA
    Sometimes big hens will accidentally break eggs due to their weight.
    Any intentional egg-breakers I have had ate everything, shell and all. They cleaned up the crime scene well... except for yolk-splattered beaks and faces.

7. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

My understanding is that egg eating is a bad habit some birds get, then teach to the others in the flock. It can become a real problem. Try to find out who the culprit is if it continues and seperate (or cull) the hen:(

8. StaatsFarms

Jun 30, 2009
    Nebraska
    It's been a week now and that was the only one that was "broken"... I'm thinking one of them broke it on accident

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by