One of my chickens died i need help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by marcus connor, Dec 29, 2014.

1. marcus connor

marcus connor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2014
    Eastern Texas
    I walked out an hour ago,and saw one of my 3 month old black frizzle dead.It was soaked in water,and had been pecked badly.
    And i have 3 more black frizzles,But i need to know how do i stop 17 other Hens and Roosters to stop pecking the last three.
    And they had a bad home so they look like a fluff ball and look like the size of a apple.If you could please tell me how. Thank you

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

If the other birds are pecking these young birds to the point that one has been killed then you need to separate them for now. Are these frizzles very new to you? And if so, how did you go about integrating them with the flock? They are younger, smaller and, if the others are standard chickens, these frizzles look different. So it would take some careful integration to avoid this problem.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    X2. New chickens to any flock, especially smaller or more meek ones, have to be slowly integrated over time behind a fence or a pen, and they should not be put together unless they are close in size, and you will be spending lots of time with them to watch for bullying.

4. marcus connor

Oct 23, 2014
    Eastern Texas
    I got them dec 1st and i walked out to feed them and i heard them screaming because the other chickens were pecking them

5. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Separate them and keep them separate for a while. Give them a few weeks alongside the other birds but separated by fence. The older birds need time to get used to them and settle down. The problem you may face now is that the older birds already have it in their heads now to chase and peck these new birds, sometimes once they get that mindset there's no changing it. It would be good to start by putting the least aggressive/least dominant birds in with the younger birds when you do finally try to integrate them again. When that goes well add a few more and so on, sometimes that approach works.

6. marcus connor

Oct 23, 2014
    Eastern Texas
    ok thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by