One of my chickens died last night

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MissEllie, May 21, 2010.

1. MissEllie

MissEllie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2009
    NorthWest Mississippi
    I went to let the chickens out of the coop this morning and found Clara, a one year old Rhode Island Red, dead on the floor of the coop. No signs of egg bound, I looked her over and couldn't find anything to tell why she died. I only have 8 chickens, they are my pets. I knew everyone here would understand, my in-laws are coming in from out of town tonight and I will probably hear jokes about chicken dinners. (I will NOT find this funny.)[​IMG]

2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Quote:I am sorry for your loss - I had that happen to one of mine - I came home from work and she was just struggling on the floor of the coop, then passed. I figured she had some kind of stroke

3. silkieroo

silkieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Durham NH
    Oh i'm so sorry!! At least you know she didn't waste away and she wasn't in pain when she passed.

Sending good thoughts your way
    Maddie

4. fl_deb

fl_deb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    So sorry for your loss.

[​IMG]

I guess you check to see if she had broken her neck (very wobbly if so from what I've read) ???

I guess I jump to predator and scared chicken concusion first.

Take care of you and yours,

Deb

5. RM44

RM44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    Woodstock, Georgia
    I am sorry for your loss. If you are really worried about chicken dinner jokes, talk to your husband (or wife) and ask him (or her) to gently point out to his family that you are very sad about the chicken and jokes wouldn't be appropriate. I'm sure they would honor your request. Sometimes people make jokes because they think it helps us get though something. And some people respond well to jokes while others don't. Just make your feelings known up front.

As for the cause of the chicken death, it could be a number of things. If you didn't observe any signs of illness, then I would just chalk it up to some oddball occurance.

Good luck to you over the weekend and with your family in town. Try to find some fun things to do to take your mind off Clara.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by