One of my chickens died

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JennJennTX, Dec 4, 2013.

1. JennJennTX

JennJennTX New Egg

Dec 4, 2013
    I'm new to raising chickens and am learning all the time thanks to this great forum. I have 16 6 month old chickens that have been laying regularly. Today I had a hen run out from under my deck and flap its wings very wildly. Two of the other hens were following closely behind. It's neck was stretched forward but its head was down. It went headfirst into the ground and stayed there for a few seconds. I had never seen this behavior before so I wasn't sure what was going on. The other two chickens pecked at it a little bit and then it's legs twitched. It took me a couple of minutes to get to it and when I went to check on it it was dead. I believe the chickens pecked it's comb because there was a tiny bit of blood but it only came from that small spot. Her comb and wattles were really purple, not red like they normally are. Her eyes were closed. I called my dad who helps me from time to time and we thought it might have broken it's neck. He suggested I clean it to see if there were any markings in case a snake bit it and if I found nothing I could go ahead and eat it. I found no puncture wounds on it at all. I'm just looking for feedback about this and to find out if it's common for chickens to break their necks like that. I would like to be able to eat it if possible because the chickens are being raised for meat and eggs. None of the chickens have shown any signs of odd behavior or disease before and they are all foraging, pooping, and eating feed like should, nothing out of the ordinary. Can anyone help?

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Hi there, Sorry about your hen. Given the odd circumstances and the fact that you do have poisonous snakes in Texas - I don't think I would eat that particular bird. Sue

3. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I am very sorry for your loss. It does sound like it could possibly have been a snake bite. Or possibly choking. With her turning purple like that id guess it could have possibly been lack of oxygen. Again I'm very sorry you lost her.

4. chick lovers

chick lovers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2013
    With my chickens.
    Sorry for your loss, I have never had anything like that happen before, but I would guess that with the purple combs and all that she choked in something or was bitten by a snake. I am so sorry for your loss.

5. JennJennTX

JennJennTX New Egg

Dec 4, 2013
    Thank you everyone for your replies!! I really appreciate it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by