One of my chicken's feathers are falling out- Not molting Please Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by peopleRanimals2, Dec 29, 2016.

1. peopleRanimals2

peopleRanimals2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    I recently noticed one of my barred rock's feathers scattered around in their run. I decided to keep an eye on it, but now there is a spot on her neck where the feathers are missing, but the shafts are still there and there is no blood. Also, feathers all over her are falling off, mostly the little fluffy feathers on her behind and around the top of her legs. She was hatched this spring, so I don't think it is some kind of weird late molt. Is it feather picking? The problem just started with the smaller fluffy feathers, but I am becoming more concerned upon seeing the feathers in her neck missing. Please help!

2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    They can molt before one year.If there are feather shafts she is molting.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

It is a juvenile molt......Nothing to worry about.....They grown quickly....Add some grower to the feed....I feed all my Birds Grower till laying then add Layer at 50/50 till one years old....Helps with the juvenile molt as feathers are protein.......

Cheers!

5. peopleRanimals2

peopleRanimals2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    Thank you! I was concerned because with the holidays and all I haven't been spending quite as much time with them as normal so I was afraid I was missing something. :)

6. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Sounds to me like all is fine with your Birds....

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by