One of my chickens is dying!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mudwoman, Aug 16, 2013.

1. mudwoman

mudwoman Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2013
    Cathlamet, WA
    I'm a newbie. I've only had this flock 3 months. After 2 months, one of our chickens just disaperaed. We live in a VERY rural area, I thought an Eagle, Osprey or Cayote took her. She magically appeared yesterday, in the coop, in a nesting box. She was sitting backwards and had pooped in there. Poop looked fine, she looked awful. No feathers on her underside. She could barely walk when I picked her up and set her down. I just left her alone for the night. I figured, SHE'S HOME...ALL WILL BE FINE. FOOD, WATER, BACK WITH HER FAMILY.
    This morning she drank a few drops of sugar water, but was not interested in any food offered. I had to leave for a few hours. Just got home and she is still in the box. I picked her up and her head just fell foward and her eyes rolled back, her feet are curled up. I set her back in the box, and came running to this site.

I don't think there is a single thing I can do, she seems to far gone.

Should I leave her in the coop? I worry about the rest of the flock. I don't know if she was lost and found her way home to die, I just thought she accidentally found her way home.

So, leave her to suffer? Put her in a shady place to die? HELP

2. redstar14

redstar14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2013
    She was probaly attacked by a predator and survived she might be in shock

3. mudwoman

May 26, 2013
    Cathlamet, WA
    That migjt have been the case yesterday. But, right now I KNOW with most certainty, she is dying. I dont know what to do with her. I'm pretty sure I can not do anything for her.

4. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Yes,she may well be dying. Bring her inside,is it hot? If yes cool her down immediately. See if you can get her to drink,put electrolytes or sugar water,dip her beak. If she is unconscious,not much you can do.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I agree with Redstar14. She may have survived a predator attack but may have internal injuries and she's on her way out. It might be best to cull her and not let her suffer.

6. mudwoman

May 26, 2013
    Cathlamet, WA
    I did cool her down, actually by accident when trying to force/ offer water. It is a warm day (80*'ish). I can't handle her suffering very well. I can't believe I'm asking this, but, how do I cull her and end her suffering?

7. mudwoman

May 26, 2013
    Cathlamet, WA
    Never mind, she is dead. My husband is going to bag her and put her in our trash bin for me. Thank you all who tried to help. I'm heart-broken. My husband just hugged me , gave me a tissue and told me he would take care of everything. I love you all!

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would put her in a dog crate in the house or coop, and try to make her comfortable. It sounds like she is only semiconcious now anyway. It's amazing she came back like this to die after a month away. So sorry.

9. mudwoman

May 26, 2013
    Cathlamet, WA
    Yes, it is amazing that she returned at all. But, looks like she came home to die.
    RIP, Rose....I loved you.

10. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    My condolences,it is heartbreaking when a beloved pet dies,i feel your pain. She came back to you,where she felt safe and loved,her home.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by