one of my chickens is not digesting his food * grit didnt help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jason_mazzy, Jan 26, 2011.

1. jason_mazzy

jason_mazzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    I have a serama OEG mix, who I noticed yesterday was completely not acting right. His brother was up running around with the oeg's and the EE pullets, but he was hunched in a ball fluffed up by himself. He is usually quite inseperable from his brother. He was 100% normal and active day before.

So I imediatly took him inside. hand dripped him some gatorade, and he began to come around. I put him under a heat light and put a food and water dish in. He has made a complete 180, and is up running around and trying to escape and come find me (odd that this chicken is looking for me I think). But his poop looks exactly like his food. just slightly wet. the poop is watery, andthe food is undigested. he is eating non stop and drinking alot. But I know he is not getting nutrition without digesting the food. What are your thoughts about the illness and what to do?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  2. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    is he getting enough grit???

3. jason_mazzy

Jan 7, 2011
    I would hope so since they free rance and eat the dirt and gravel. I was thinking about throwing him some oyster shell and see if that helps, but he started out as sick, with water poop, so I am hoping to lock that down before adding him a bunch of stuff.

4. jason_mazzy

Jan 7, 2011
    I added grit, and he seems to still be pooping perfect lil crumbles. But his health and energy are sustained on the gatorade. I truely do not want to keep a chicken in my house for the rest of his life............

any suggestions?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  5. jason_mazzy

Jan 7, 2011
    bump

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by