one of my chickens looks like it EXPLODED!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sherm, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Sherm

Sherm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2014
    So, it was a nice sunny relatively warm winter day, all chickens were roaming around my backyard and happy. A half hour later I went to the coop to collect eggs and noticed one (white leghorn) was in the nesting area DEAD. What's more, it looked like a scene in a horror movie: there was blood splattered on the walls and ceiling. There was a lot of blood coming from out of it's beak.. so it spit the blood up.

Any thoughts on what happened??

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    feathers scattered?
    predator?

3. Sherm

Sherm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2014
    Some more information:

No, no way it was a predator. I was in and around the backyard and would've noticed. They were strolling around outside of their coop, and they come back in to lay eggs. I have six chickens, all are 10 mos. old. All have been perfectly healthy until now. We live in Oregon, weather is mild.

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    A mink or weasel can sneak in bite the neck of a chicken and kill it before the chicken knows what's happened and sneak away before you know it. They're tiny, fast, stealthy and brutal killers.

A chicken going in to lay an egg can't just explode. Whatever splattered blood was a traumatic event.

5. Sherm

Sherm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2014
    there was no blood on the feathers, no broken skin. All the blood came from inside/ mouth/ beak. No feathers anywhere. Just looked like it spit up blood (everywhere) and died.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by