1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

One of my chickens seems to have a cough

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by iPeanut1990, Dec 1, 2014.

1. iPeanut1990

iPeanut1990 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2014
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I can only describe the sound as a cough. Not sure what it was. I tried to record it but she only did it about 4 times in a row and then stopped. It was the first time I noticed it today. I have some Vet RX on hand but should I keep an eye on her for now? Maybe it was just a fluke? I stayed out there for about 10 minutes after I heard it and didn't hear it again.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    My chickens will sometimes cough or sneeze during or just after eating, perhaps from the dust in the feed or in the surroundings of the coop or run. Keep listening to them tomorrow.

3. iPeanut1990

iPeanut1990 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2014
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I've never heard them do it before. It even startled my dog. Hopefully that's all it was. Just went out to check on her and she seems fine. Fingers crossed it was just a weird fluke.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by