One of my chickens was just killed (my avatar)

hazelville

Chirping
10 Years
May 13, 2009
Portland NW
I saw a bird up in the trees cleaning itself but it was too far away to get a good look or tell its size. The chickens neck was stripped to the bone.

Does anyone know what type of bird (or animal) does this?
The chicken looked fine otherwise and was pretty heavy but not bleeding though it's 30 degrees out. I live in a rural area and we have bobcats, coyotes, raccoons and the like so not sure what got is but it was at @ 2:00 in the afternoon.

I just noticed that Speck was the one and she is my avatar, sniff.

Last edited:
A hawk?

Sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

hawk, they start had the head and neck area. i am very sorry for your loss. i lost one in a temporary coop two days ago. the top was open about 2 foot.

Last edited:
Thanks for the condolences. We lost another one to worms 3 months ago so we are learning there is some sorrow involved raising these funny egg layers...
roll.png

I'm going to keep them (10) in the coop and buy some netting to string over the yard. I'm thinking of using that netting you put over vegetable gardens but not sure if it will be a deterrent. I want to keep the cost down.

Yes, the yard is what I need to cover. The coop is fine and they have a little front yard area that's 8x8 and it's covered so that will be it until I get the rest of the yard done. Not sure what to use though, I have netting for vegie gardens but not sure if is strong enough.

You can use deer netting for the hawks (Lowe's 100'x7' for about $12). Hang a few old CDs and the light show will keep typically them away as well. I use 8 hanging CDs to cover about 10K square feet. The hawks have not been back since I put those up.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom