One of my chickens will not lay or crow. Whats going on? could she be a rooster?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by motherhencharm, Sep 9, 2012.

1. motherhencharm

motherhencharm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2012
    I have 6 free ranging chickens, 4 of which are around 7 months old and 2 who are around 6 months old. All of my chickens lay...except one. Shes one of the older hens and each of her sisters have been laying for a couple of months now. Even the younger chickens are both laying. But she just won't.
    She looks different to the other girls too. The others all have big red crowns, she has very little crown and its a light pink. Because her crown is so small and because I have never heard her crow I am presuming she is not a rooster. Or am I mistaken in that assumption? Is there anyway to tell the sex of chickens other then waiting for the more obvious signs?
    Is there a reason that she may not be laying? I have read that sometimes in a flock with no rooster one of the hens takes over the role and won't lay. Is this what could be going on? and if so will she eventually give up and start laying or could she go the rest of her life without laying an egg?
    If anyone can provide any answers to my many questions then I would be very thankful.
    These are the first chickens I have ever owned so I'm just a newbie.

2. J-Sanders

J-Sanders Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2012
    Look at her vent. If it is oval shaped and moist she is laying and if it is round, small and dry she isn't. Also a hen with a washed out comb color that is not warm, waxy and red is probably not a good layer. Although the comb traits will change through out the laying season. What breed of hens do you have?

Jim

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  3. motherhencharm

motherhencharm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2012
    thanks for the reply, they are all brown shavers. =)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by