One of my chicks died and now the other won't stop cheeping?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Amberrose, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Amberrose

Amberrose Just Hatched

Mar 23, 2017
    4 days ago I bought 2 one day old chicks from my local market and they were doing well up until last night when one of them started screaming and staggering and it wouldn't close its wings, but then I hugged it for awhile and it calmed down and went back to normal. But then about 10 minutes ago (I had them cuddled up to me in a blanket) I found the other one dead!! I don't know why [​IMG] I'll get one more next Sunday to make sure the other isn't lonley (in 3 days) but in the meantime how do I comfort the other one? He/she is really upset [​IMG][​IMG]thank you so much for any help (I'm not going to buy any like this again because they are too young and I don't have a heat lamp) x

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    So how are you keeping them warm?
    In a small space they don't need a heat lamp but they need a heat source of some kind.
    I use ceramic heat emitters like those used for reptiles at about 75 to 150 watts depending on the space. You can also use a drop light with a 75 watt bulb.
    2 chicks don't develop enough metabolic warmth to protect themselves.
    What are they in? Brooder setup?
    Food?
    Most people that have problems either have them too warm or too cold. They either put a heat lamp in a small enclosure which will bake the chicks or don't provide heat at all.
    Ideal setup is a large enclosure with a very warm spot and lots of cool space. That allows chicks to find their comfort zone.
    You can give the chick a mirror, a stuffed animal and it still needs a source of warmth.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  3. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I just added more info above.

4. Amberrose

Amberrose Just Hatched

Mar 23, 2017
    I kept them wrapped in a blanket in a smallish cage and every now and again they would wake and have some food and water but they didn't have a heat lamp (I'll get one for tonight) and last night we did have a cold spell, I have done this before but it was with turkins (a hardier breed) and it was a hotter month. When it died I was cuddling it in a blanket though so it was warm and it seemed fine this morning. Worst case scenario is that I accidentally leaned on it as I was lying down on my side with them both next to me but it didn't cheep or anything. As I said I have done this before so I'm not clueless, the person I got them off doesn't keep them very well I don't think so it could have even had something. Thank you for your help, I'll try the stuffed toy. At the moment I just have to cuddle the live one otherwise it screams but it's getting better. Again thanks so much for your help I'll try harder x

5. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    At room temperature, 20 chicks can huddle and keep each other warm but 2 cannot. They need a spot about 90F the first week. A blanket doesn't produce heat.
    They are normally under a mother hen that has a body temp of 102F all night and periodically throughout the day at this stage.

6. Amberrose

Amberrose Just Hatched

Mar 23, 2017
    Thanks, I'll definitely make sure this one has heat then. Just one more thing, it still won't stop cheeping even when cuddled! Is it just a phase maybe? It's not eating much either, just a few pecks then screaches to be cuddled again. And even when its eyes at closed and it's nice and warm it's still cheeping! I don't have any hens to put it with either. It wants to be cuddled and it stops a little but when it comes out of its blanket it starts screeching again and I don't know what to do as I can't carry it around all day, should I just (after making sure it's warm) leave it for a bit and come back later?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  7. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    The chick is cold and dying and it's peeping for rescue. Do you have a heating pad in your house? If so, put it on high and give that baby some warmth!

8. Amberrose

Amberrose Just Hatched

Mar 23, 2017
    It's definitely not that...she's very warm and almost got too hot ! She's quieting down a little now and is a nice temperature (sitting on a hot water bottle) [​IMG]

9. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    A chick cannot get too hot by its own heat generation wrapped in a blanket nor can it get too hot against your skin. A chick will feel very warm to you because their normal body temperature is considerably higher than yours. That doesn't mean the chick is warm enough.

10. Amberrose

Amberrose Just Hatched

Mar 23, 2017
    Oh no no I don't mean I thought she was too hot because she felt warm, she has been wrapped in a woolly jumper on a hot water bottle and when I got her out (because she had got unusually quiet and seemed to be looking for a way out) she was panting like she had just run a mile and was boiling. Then she drank so much water she spit a bit back up again, but now I'm much more familiar with the temperature she needs to be so that won't be happening again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by