One of my chicks died

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ticks, Apr 24, 2009.

1. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    This morning I found one of my little Ancona chicks dead in the brooder. I suspected it because it was sleepy, fell asleep in my hands, and when would put him into the brooder it would flip onto its back and just fall asleep. From day one it was very weak. I don't think it was anything that my other chicks can catch, but to be sure I am going to clean the waterers, feeders, and brooder.

2. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Sorry to hear [​IMG] Sounds like maybe a wry neck problem? I had a 4 day old do that. Just flip on his back and fall asleep. But amazingly he pulled through. I think mine was due to poor incubation at school.

3. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Quote:I hope its not a disease, it was just very inactive for a Leghorn (well, Ancona, but I've read that they are just mottled leghorns) My other ones are all happy, running around.

4. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Mother nature can be cruel sometimes :\\ but its life

5. my1stchicks

my1stchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    North FL
    [​IMG]

6. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Quote:Yeah, I just hope it isn't a disease.

7. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    You can more or less rule out disease unless they went outside or they came into contact with other birds.

8. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Here is some information about the Ancona (which is not just a spotted leghorn.)

The Ancona breed was developed in a city in Italy from which they take their name. They are nicely spotted white on black, with yellow skin, and lay white eggs.

Anconas were introduced into the APA Standard in 1898. Chicks are are striking black and white. They were once one of the prime egg-producing breeds in Europe. Active and busy, they are good foragers and said to be indifferent to climate.

According to American Livestock Breeds Conservancy, the Ancona is on the Threatened listing. This means there are fewer than 1,000 breeding birds in the United States, with seven or fewer primary breeding flocks, and globally endangered.

I was sorry to hear about your Ancona chick, ticks. We had an Ancona hen and she was a sweetie. It could be that the chick didn't have enough vitamin E. I know that a lack of Vit E can cause problems with development of the muscular and nervous systems. But that is just a guess, as chickens seem to have many problems and diseases that look like each other.

Keep an eye on the rest and if you see anything suspicious, isolate those chicks.

9. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Quote:Thank you, outside as in walked around? I brought them from the car to the house. I am using a brooder that has been used before but I took a good 10-15 minutes scrubbing it with soap.

10. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    I mean outside as in coming into contact with dirt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by