One of my chicks is not growing

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by SuperPeacockman, Jun 26, 2011.

1. SuperPeacockman

SuperPeacockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Is there any reason why a peachick would not be growing? One of mine is not. I think it has pasty butt, but I have been cleaning it. Please help

2. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Are the other peachicks getting all the food?

Watch it and see if it is pooping. My peachick has not had a problem with pasty butt but I always watched it when it was younger to make sure it was pooping and I would make sure its butt was clean.

I wonder if it could even be a runt? Can you have runts in peafowl? I think my peahen Pip might be a runt she is pretty small.

3. SuperPeacockman

Sep 1, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Quote:I have one who hatched out of a smallish egg who is definitely a runt, but it is growing.

4. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Maybe put another feeder and waterer in the pen since the more dominant chicks will not let the lower chicks eat.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2011
  5. SuperPeacockman

Sep 1, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    There is always food and water available, they do not use it all up by the time I refill it the next day. I really think this is a healt problem.

6. Knix6468

Knix6468 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Gaston Oregon
    maybe you have the first miniature peacock [​IMG]

7. SuperPeacockman

Sep 1, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Okay I am seriously concerned, do any of the experts have an opinion?

8. DAS

DAS Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    NW Wisconsin
    I'm not an expert, but my questions to you are: how old is the chick and what are you feeding it?

9. SuperPeacockman

Sep 1, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    2 weeks, chick starter, the two chicks who hatched with him are fine so I do not think it has anything to do with food

10. trudigale

trudigale Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    Kansas
    Please know that I am no expert....... but I am wondering what type of area you have your peachicks in. We had our peachicks in a rather large plastic container (one of the storage containers that are deep and pretty good size). The containers are wonderful for in the house little brooders. I noticed a couple of my peachicks necks were not straightening out all the way (we had some netting over the top to keep them from flying out)...... peachicks are a little over 2 weeks old. Yesterday we moved them into, what we call, the baby pen. Really hated to take them out to the "real world" [​IMG] but am so glad we did. The little guys looked like they grew 2 inches in less than 2 minutes!

So, I am just wondering what type of area your little peachicks are in and if maybe they need a bit more room.

My other question would be ---- how many peachicks do you have? If I notice a chick not thriving I will move him along with one other into a small area. Sometimes one can be "the runt" and have a hard time keeping up with the rest of the bunch. Leave him and a buddy separated from the rest for several days. This usually helps him gain strength and get a bit more rest. It also gives you a better chance to monitor how much food he might be consuming.

Not sure if my thoughts help..... but I sure would hate for you to lose him.
    Trudi

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by