One of my chicks isnt growing as well

SoORchick73

Songster
8 Years
May 9, 2011
I think we have a runt? She seems healthy and happy but is half the size of my other almost 2 week old chicks. Shes a buff orpington. Is there anything I should do for her? The others dont seem to pick on her but shes definitely the least domimant chick. I just dont want her to get picked on.

ETA she is in with 5 others and has plenty of access to food/water so its not that...

Last edited:
Hmm, I would recommend lots of protein and vitamins. Maybe she is just the runt
hmm.png

Thanks everyone! I went and got her some plain yogurt and will boil an egg to give with it.
smile.png

I have a runt silkie and a runt light brahma...we went this weekend and bought baby vitamins without iron. I have been giving my 2 little squirts a drop or two a day. I have just been taking the cap off and getting them to take a sip. We also have been brining them upstairs and giving them a mix of eggs, yogurt, & oats and they r eating and drinking. The light brahma is catching up to her sisters faster than the silkie is catching up to hers. Goof luck with your babies and keep us updated!

I have 3 RIR and 3 BR. One of my Rocks is the runt, we call her Lil' Peep. She is easily half the size of our biggest (the Reds are a bit bigger than the Rocks). But, she is doing fine and more than holds her own with her sisters. They are just four weeks old and the LOVE superworms and crickets and she is VERY adept at stealing bugs from her sisters. We do give her a little extra on the side but she is doing fine. I wouldn't worry too much. If mine we a roo I'd name it Napoleon! Maybe Josephine will do!!

yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom