1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

One of my chicks isnt growing as well

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SoORchick73, May 16, 2011.

1. SoORchick73

SoORchick73 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    I think we have a runt? She seems healthy and happy but is half the size of my other almost 2 week old chicks. Shes a buff orpington. Is there anything I should do for her? The others dont seem to pick on her but shes definitely the least domimant chick. I just dont want her to get picked on.

ETA she is in with 5 others and has plenty of access to food/water so its not that...

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  2. QualityPolish

QualityPolish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Utah
    Hmm, I would recommend lots of protein and vitamins. Maybe she is just the runt [​IMG]

3. stargazingmommy

stargazingmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    once a day our runt is getting boiled egg yolk mixed with yogurt and raw oatmeal, and loves it. She's starting to catch up finally.

4. SoORchick73

SoORchick73 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Thanks everyone! I went and got her some plain yogurt and will boil an egg to give with it. [​IMG]

5. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    I have a runt silkie and a runt light brahma...we went this weekend and bought baby vitamins without iron. I have been giving my 2 little squirts a drop or two a day. I have just been taking the cap off and getting them to take a sip. We also have been brining them upstairs and giving them a mix of eggs, yogurt, & oats and they r eating and drinking. The light brahma is catching up to her sisters faster than the silkie is catching up to hers. Goof luck with your babies and keep us updated!

6. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    I have 3 RIR and 3 BR. One of my Rocks is the runt, we call her Lil' Peep. She is easily half the size of our biggest (the Reds are a bit bigger than the Rocks). But, she is doing fine and more than holds her own with her sisters. They are just four weeks old and the LOVE superworms and crickets and she is VERY adept at stealing bugs from her sisters. We do give her a little extra on the side but she is doing fine. I wouldn't worry too much. If mine we a roo I'd name it Napoleon! Maybe Josephine will do!!

[​IMG]

7. WallTenters

WallTenters Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweet Home, OR
    Check her beak - make sure it closes properly.

8. valley ranch

valley ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

last year we had one that was very much smaller than the rest of the chicks, even got feathers later. I thought he wouldn't make it. He turned out to be the biggest and roughest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by