One of My Chicks SNEEZED!! eek...

rivers2011

Songster
8 Years
May 12, 2011
Port Perry, ON
I was holding her for a minute or two today and she sneezed twice during that time!
Could it be MG?
I have six Columbia Rocks, all one month old girls. I can't get pictures, unfortunately, but I've noticed that none of my girls have very clearly contrasting pupils. Their irises are greyish, and their pupils seem to have fuzzy borders. Other than that, they seem to be healthy chicks.
I'd be devastated if I had to cull the flock. It's my first time raising chicks and I was hoping to use four of them for eggs (my parents were going to use two for consumption)

Last edited:
Don't panic! You'll see a lot more symptoms if it's MG, sneezing in chicks is quite normal, partly due to all the dust! Here's a few things to watch out for, I'm sorry if you've heard this before: bubbly eyes, swollen eyes, and troubled breathing. I would watch them closely, but from your description I don't think you have anything to worry about
smile.png

I'm not sure where you got them. If you raised them yourself, then they are, 99% probability, MG-free unless the mother had it.

Ah, thanks so much
smile.png

I was just reposting in under the Emergencies section and now have to find a way to delete that post...
thanks again!

There's an old saying in medicine - when you hear hoofbeats think horses, not zebras. Think about it.

As a new chickie parent you can drive yourself crazy by reading the emergencies section. Sometimes a sneeze is just a sneeze; especially if you live in a brooder full of shavings dust and chickie dander. You sneeze to clear your nostrils (nares), so do chickens.
smile.png

Quote:
That's a good quote Gritty. I was going to say pretty much the same thing. No reason to jump to the conclusion of MG; everyone sneezes. I remember my chicks would sneeze occasionally. *Most likely* nothing to be concerned about, don't panic.
smile.png

Thanks everyone
celebrate.gif

That MG thread did get me over concerned...esp with all the wild birds and animals around my area. Such a hypochondriac when it comes to the young ones
hide.gif

Every single batch of chicks I've raised has sneezed. They do it for the same reasons that humans do. It's only worrisome if they are doing it a lot, and it's accompanied with lethargy and/or discharge.

When they are sick they will sneeze every 2 seconds and constantly gasp for air. I've been through this when my SS was 4 weeks old. It's very stressful. Luckily she made it through, but I think she is a carrier now.

My 6 week old chicks sneeze sometimes and have done so for weeks. They have no other symptoms and seem like healthy birds (these are my first, though, so what do I know?) Anyway, hopefully yours is the same way and won't develop any other symptoms.

they may sneeze more often if you've got a smoker in the family or if you live in a polluted city.I've got an orange winged amazon parrot an several other parrots and birds apart from my chicks and all of them sneeze a lot due to the same reasons.but there's nothing to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom