One of my cornish cross is down with the legs

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by harleyjo, Jun 24, 2010.

1. harleyjo

harleyjo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    My Cornish Cross will be 56 days on July 6th. Went to the coop first thing this morning to bring back their food from overnight being put away and fill their water for the day before we left for work. I saw one that appeared to be down with their legs so we moved the feeder away so it wouldn't be trampled all day and we had to leave for work. We thought we would give it the day to see if he moved.

He didn't was still in the same place. So we removed him from the coop, put hiim in a tote and gave him a bowl of water. We have worked a 12 hour day and since we have never butchered a chicken before so being dead tired from work is not the time to do it.

He is drinking water. Do you think he can make it till tomorrow afternoon before we butcher him? We have a morning full of appt. for work.

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Yeah he should make it til then .. I had one go down and i just kept it on soft bedding and moved it and the food and water around the caghe .. As it will poo where it sleeps and will be gross very quickly... Sorry your lil one went down .. I rememeber my first and the pit i had in my stomach.... Also make sure you are giving it dark time at night that will help it to just rest....

3. harleyjo

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    I did take the feed away though. I think I read in a book to withold the food before butchering.

4. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Quote:I withhold feed 24 hours before butchering. It makes it much cleaner and easier during the "proccess". You are doing the right thing leaving the water. I usually put some apple cider vinegar in their last batch of water. My theory is it will help clean everything out. Not sure if that is the case, but it certainly doesn't hurt anything. I have 60 of them to proccess tomorrow.

5. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Hey you must work for same company I do we also are working alot of 12 hr shifts they suck

6. harleyjo

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    Yeah... it is called self employement in a bad economy. You work when you can get it! The chicken is still alive we did give him just a little food because we got home too late today to take care of them today. It is very hot here. We will pull the food again later and then a few more are going to join this one and we will start the processing. We have 28 to do in the next week or two.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by