1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

One of my Cornish-X died painfull slow

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Fowl_Odor002, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Fowl_Odor002

Fowl_Odor002 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Mostly Here
    One of my backyard Cornish cross died this weekend. Painfully slow, I might add.
    My birds are 7 weeks old now and I wanted to see at least one 12 week old Cornish cross.
    But after what I witnessed, I think it may be better to dispatch them all at the pre-arranged scheduled time rather than running the possibility of having another bird die on me like that.
    I use to feel bad about sending them to freezer camp so soon, but now, not so much.
    It is the best and most humane thing to do.

The genetics on these birds suck.

2. Bucky182

Bucky182 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2009
    Um don't want to sound bad but you did you let it suffer? Why not dispatch it? Seems kind of cruel to just let it suffer.

3. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Great questions!!

4. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I don't think the genetics suck. They have brilliant genetics that perform a very specific task extremely efficiently.

Each species has specific requirements for the raising of it. Cornish Cross are no exception. You raise them like they are Cornish Cross or you might run into some problems.

I raise mine like chickens, but they do have special requirements like a lot more feed and some extra niacin and some extra vigilance about health issues that regular chickens probably won't have. I also think they require more room, although all my birds get tons of space so I don't have any experience with close confinement raising of poultry.

5. Fowl_Odor002

Fowl_Odor002 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Mostly Here
    Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay :

Quote:Great questions!!

I helped it along on it's journey ASAP. But it was obvious that the bird had been suffering for hours.
    Totally did not deserve to die that way.​

6. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Don't beat yourself up. Next time you will be able to tell better after what you just experienced.

7. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:[​IMG]

8. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    Quote:[​IMG]

Ditto...sometimes you get bum chicks of all breeds - we've had a leghorn come with a leg on wompy, and an EE with a cross beak arrived once...not all broilers grow up to be chicken-zilla...things happen

9. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:I've taken Cornish X's till they layed eggs, until I dispatched, NONE of them suffered. They free ranged and got feed Purina Start and Grow (non-med) 12 on 12 off. And they also wanted more, they would travel all over the yard looking for the other feeders. They found the garden and the compost. From each bird I was able to get 5 meals from the breast alone on one bird. (there is only 2 of us) My girls were happy and very talkative, and friendly it was hard to dispatch, but that is what I got them for. The reason they went so long was the weather, way too hot to butcher. I have been raising all my meat birds this way. They eat lots grass, bugs and veggies along with their feed. I have Freedom Rangers now and they will go to the butcher at 11 weeks.
    Michele

10. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    I don't know if you have different strains then we do in Canada, but I have successfully raised hundreds of Cornish X giants until they were about 6 months old. Non of the suffered until around that time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by