One of my Drakes refused to come out of the shed this morning

dawnjoennikki98

Chirping
9 Years
Oct 5, 2010
New Jersey
So, one of my Blue Swedish Drakes (the "leader" of my drakes, named Lucy at hatching, now called Lucifer..:p ) refused to come out of the shed this morning with all of the others. he was standing in a back corner, all alert and puffed up. I went in, checked him all over, checked the woodchips for anything strange...didn't see anything. the others came back in and stood around him in front of me, lol. too cute. so i just got behind him and herded them all out. He is walking/running fine, and went with everyone into the run ok. I'm at work now, so i can't check on him until i get home
sad.png
....This has never happened before, they all do everything together, the 8 of them. What could have been wrong? any ideas? thanks!

Dawn

It's cold, like 29 degrees today, no snow or ice on the ground in their run, but it's been even colder. Since the cold weather started, they've actually wanted to get out of the shed earlier, and stay out much later than usual. they stay in the pools most of the day , even with ice on top that i've broken through. Otherwise, I would think that might be why. They have some wind block and hay in the run. They also have a big igloo, but they have never set foot in it... :p Thank you for responding! what kind of ducks do you have?
So, Lucifer looks fine since i've gotten home. He's his same old self, bullying my runner drake, Lucky!

I don't think it is the temperature. Ducks love it when it is around the freezing point. I think something spooked him, perhaps some odd noise. He just had one of those moments and all the other ducks tried to figure out his problem. Perhaps a bad dream. My golden retriever woke me up this morning crying next to my side of the bed. I gave him a pet and he went back to this bed. That was the end of it. Bad doggy dream! LOL

The 30 years I taught school.... there were MANY mornings I did not want to get out of the house
big_smile.png
. I have 4 ducks. 2 Muskovies and an Indian Runner/Pekin, and a Rouen/Pekin... Fifi- Quack is the last to come out and the last to go in. They have different personalities. We have over a foot of snow and they are playing in it all day. Ice Cream-Fish is still laying ... all over the enclosure
somad.gif
Her eggs do not have any shell so they get trampled.. any suggestions? More yogurt ??

Oystershell! Extra protein makes the egg larger. The lack of calcium causes the shell being missing. Worst is that they will leach calcium out of their bones, if there is not enough calcium in their diet. So get yourself some oystershell at the feedstore and offer it on the side. It will fix this issue in just a few days, if not overnight.

Any kind of weird thing could have spooked him. I recently winterized my duck palace and did some rearranging. The change spooked all of mine. They'd run for the door like they were gonna come out... see the new wood and freeze in their tracks. I had to go in and herd them outside for like 2 days. But now they're back with the program. They recover pretty quick.

I always keep oyster shell in their pen next to their food. Maybe I should mix it in WITH their food - that is why I was wondering about treats... That always gets them OUT of their house .. but I have been growing lettuce on my front porch to use as treats. What are other things? Yogurt and cottage cheese? - my chickens like those.... peas & corn and swiss chard... any ideas. Those get the most recalcitrant duck out of their house ( and chickens) . All the while yelling "Treats".

Back
Top Bottom