One of my duckies flew today!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Maidservant, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Maidservant

Maidservant Songster

Feb 20, 2008
    Norwich, Norfolk, UK
    Well, the two ducks I have are still quite wary of people, but I let them out of their pen today. They are in a small (10 ft long x 4 ft wide x 3 ft high) chicken tractor. I'm hoping to get them a larger aviary/pen built soon.

Anyway, I know that the larger one can't fly (too large of a breed), but the smaller little girl I have started flapping her wings and went straight up about 15 ft! She was quacking the whole way and looking around in bewilderment! It was soooo adorable. She ended up crash landing, but she waltzed over to me and started quacking at me, little show off!

I clipped both of their wings today. I really hated to, but there is a pond across the street with geese and other ducks and I didn't want them to get it in their heads to try to fly over there. They are back in their cage for the night, but I'll probably let them back out tomorrow.

Ok, done bragging, lol.

Emily

2. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    whew, close call funny story I can imagine that now. What breed of duck is she?

3. Maidservant

Maidservant Songster

Feb 20, 2008
    Norwich, Norfolk, UK
    Either a mallard or rouen. She has a limp (hopefully not permanant) from where she got her foot caught in the brooder she was in at the store. She doesn't let it slow her down though, and she can outrun the larger duck. She won't go more than 10 feet away from the other duck, even when she is chasing the chickens. I think she was just trying to stretch her wings and when she lifted off it scared her. They didn't fight me today while I was clipping their wings, so hopefully I'm making progress on them understanding I'm not going to hurt or eat them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by