One of my ducks has angel wing**UPDATE**He's fixed!

ticks

Pheasant Obsessed
11 Years
Apr 1, 2008
The Sticks, Vermont
I was looking at my ducklings which are 6 weeks on friday. One of them looks like the wings are being pointed upwards, so as the wing grows the feathers will look twisted (angel wing) What should I do? They have been eating plenty of greens and chick starter.

Last edited:
I dont if you can really "fix" an angel wing.

My 'scovie drake Lucky has an angel wing, and he can do everything just fine.

Best Of Luck!
smile.png

Get a knee high stocking (panty hose type), cut off the toe and cut a hole for the good wing, not too big, just enough to get the wing through and fit closely around where it joins the body.

Now, fold the angel wing in place so it looks normal and slip the hose over the body and put the good wing through the hole you made. Make sure the hose fits snugly around the body, but not so tight as to restrict breathing.
Check it every day to make sure it remains in place. After a week, take it off completely and leave it off an hour or so to see how it looks and to let the duck flap and exercise. THen put it back on for another week. Repeat for 3 to 4 weeks and hopefully it will fix itself.

At six weeks, you will probably only be able to correct it a bit, but it is certainly worth a try, you never know....it may correct! If it doesn't work, the duck will be fine and it will not affect him at all.

What are you feeding? It may be that the protein is too high. If you still have them on starter at 6 weeks, it is time to lower it to a 14 to 16% all purpose feed. Layer feed is too high in calcium and may compound the problem.

So pretty much make a jacket going around the ducks body? It has 2 angel wings.
sad.png

What should I be feedign my ducks? They have a 20% starter and eat plenty of lettuce and chopped greens.

Ticks - I think my ducks are a little younger than your's - mine are on 16% already, I have some of the starter (20%) left and throw it out now and then (the chickens love it) I also feed it to the baby chick I have.

Back
Top Bottom