One of my eggs has a yellowish gunk on it...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lizp8, Jun 9, 2011.

1. lizp8

lizp8 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2011
    One of my eggs has a yellowish gunk of the outside of it. It's day 17 now. This is my first time hatching eggs. Does this mean the egg is bad and I should remove it from the incubator? I don't want to have any exploding eggs, I heard that is horrible. [​IMG]

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Yes, that egg is weeping. That typically means it is a bad egg. Do you have an egg candler to check to be sure? It can be something as simple as a small flashlight held up to the egg. If there's a chick in there, you'll be able to see a dark area at day 17. If there's not a chick, the light will shine through it.

3. lizp8

lizp8 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2011
    Ok. I will check it now. I just got a flashlight from another teacher. Thanks!

4. lizp8

lizp8 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2011
    I held each of them over a flashlight with the help of another teacher. I have 11 eggs (had gotten 12 but one was lost in shipping) and I could see the light shine through and light up a couple of them, but the light did not shine through the rest, including the egg with the gunk on it. I don't want to get rid of it if there is a chick growing still, but I don't want it to explode either! I don't know what I should do. and should I get rid of the ones that the light shined through completely?

5. ninabl

ninabl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    franklin ky
    if the light shined through at day 17 and you didnt see anything going on in there then it isnt going to hatch. i have a egg in my incubator due to hatch this weekened that also has a goo on it. i have ben candeling it from day 7 and its still alive.

6. lizp8

lizp8 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2011
    Ok, that's good to hear. So, there is still hope for this one! I know the ones with light shining through aren't going to grow anything, I just don't know if I should go ahead and take them out now or just wait the couple of days that are left, but I guess taking them out now would make more sense? Thanks for the input. I'm hoping for a successful outcome and so are my students!

7. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Even if the light shown through the one that is leaking, I would still take it out. It has probably died or is rotten. It will explode!

8. lizp8

lizp8 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2011
    That's the thing, the light did not show through the one that is leaking...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by