one of my eggs pipped today - in the wrong place

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pesties, Oct 26, 2011.

1. pesties

pesties Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2011
    Its day 19 and one of my eggs has pipped halfway down the egg towards the pointy end (but not in the pointy end if that makes sense). This is what happened to my very first chick in my first hatch and it died [​IMG]

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Well if it is still trying to hatch then you both still have hope. I have read about all sorts of different places a chick can pip and yet still hatch. 19 days is early too. So you may still get live chicks.

3. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I had one that did that then 12 plus hours it turned more and hatched it self within 24 hrs. It was the first to pip last to hatch.
    Michele

4. pesties

Oct 20, 2011
    Egg number two has pipped - again in the wrong place [​IMG]:( Still on day 19. I don't know why, but I sure do hope they survive [​IMG]

5. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    I had that happen on my last batch in the spring. I was so worried about the first one that I tried to help it and it died. All the others that pipped this way hatched just fine!! There is hope! [​IMG]

6. pesties

Oct 20, 2011
    Thank you. I sure hope they make it! Its now day 20 and nearly all of them have pipped - in the wrong place - some even in the pointy side. Can anyone shed any light on why?

7. curious1969

curious1969 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Northwest Montana
    Good luck

8. Cherstin

Cherstin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    North Port, FL
    This happened to me last hatch, too, and it makes perfect sense in a way: my guess is that you just stopped turning your eggs on day 18, right? Ordinarily they have three days to get ready for that pip, but those early hatchers haven't had all that time to settle. Just keep a good eye on them and assist if you need to. I've made a note to next time, stop my auto turner at day 16 or 17.

Best of luck!

9. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    How are they doing?

I have a turkey I'm worried bout with the air sac at the wrong end...so am prepared, if it makes it, for pipping in the wrong spot. [​IMG]

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    All you can do is wait and watch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by