One of my favorites is acting like she might drop dead. :[

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cupman, Jun 6, 2011.

1. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I just moved the chickens out into the coop 2 days ago, one of my favorite chicks, one with a crossed beak, is just sitting there in the coop with her head in her feathers. She isn't moving, she isn't corresponding with the other chickens, she's just sitting there. She was fine the past two days, and she's lived with her screwed up beak for 8 weeks so I don't think that's the problem. I made sure to give her fresh food and water and she won't really respond to it. All the other chickens are active and happy. Anyone have any ideas as what this could be? Could she just be tired and catching up on some sleep? I really don't know with chickens, this is my first time.

Oh yeah, she's the chicken in my avatar picture to the left. She's just kind of a screwed up chicken, but that's kind of why I like her.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  2. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    What is the weather like and how are the bugs? Have you tried hand feeding her to make sure she's eating and drinking on her own?

3. cupman

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    The weather has been in the 70's and 80s. it's been overcast and high 60's low 70s today. I don't think she ate any bugs, their pen is covered in sawdust. Only bugs I could think of would be like mosquitos. I moved her inside in a big tub with pine shavings and her own food and water dish. she won't even go near it.

She is making her usual chicken noises. It doesn't appear to be faint or anything, but still no movement. She was fine last night, and I think she was fine this morning.. but when I returned home from school around 11am I noticed it. That was 5 hours ago. Still in the same condition.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  4. cupman

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Update/bump:

I'm leaving for the rest of the night, I'll update in the morning if she is still alive. Anymore guesses/advice would be very much appreciated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by