One of my favorites, "Li'l Squawker" is ailing..

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by firehog, Dec 10, 2010.

1. firehog

firehog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    She is the runt of all my chickens and was picked on a lot, scared to come get her share of treats when I handed them out because the other chickens would chase her. I always had to toss the treats her way before the others could grab them from her. She would always let out a plaintive squawk when the treats were being given out because she wanted them but was so afraid of the others, hence her name..

I noticed a couple of days ago while she was hiding under one of the trees when I was giving out the bread treats that she would walk real low to the ground, like she was squatting. I noticed tonight in the coop she was doing the same thing, like her legs are weak. Does anyone have any experience with something like this? She has a good appetite and was eating from the slice of bread quite enthusiastically.

Thanks

2. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Maybe she's sore from all the getting picked on. I have one like that, I make sure she gets access to the food and water. She was limping for awhile because of all the harassment.

3. firehog

firehog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    No, this is not from her being at the bottom of the pecking order. She has been in the flock for nearly 2 years and was the most spry fastest of all of them. When i let them out this morning she could hardly walk. It is breaking my heart to see her like this. Ray

4. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    Hmmm could she be egg bound like squating trying to push it out but it won't come?... Feel around... egg boundness ailes normaly the new layers and the older layers so their is a chance thats it
    -best wishes

5. pnuts

pnuts Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    hopefully shes not eggbound. you might have to change her name to lil squatter

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by