One of my fertile eggs that's been incubating cracked - what do I do?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ArizonaDesertChicks, May 14, 2009.

1. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    I was candling my eggs and noticed one was cracked/chipped (in a circular shape) - could even see the white membrane where a tiny piece of shell was missing. It's day six and I can see a dark area which must be the chick, but that's all - no movement. It's a welsummer egg and pretty hard to see through. I couldn't really see movement in any of my eggs, but this is my first time - I don't know if my light is bright enough.

I put a little elmer's glue on the crack/chipped area and after 5 more minutes, placed it back under my hen. I was afraid to keep it out too long. Was that the right thing to do? I hate to lose a chick, but am hoping the egg hasn't lost its stability, break under the hen, and cause her to eat it and then maybe eat the others.

2. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Glue should probably work, I just worry that it way be toxic? In the past I have used melted candle wax to cover cracks, and it has worked well. Only time will tell.

Good luck! [​IMG]

3. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    i hear about people using wax but i'm not sure how. hope the egg will be okay!

4. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    The elmers glue should work just fine and it's non-toxic...heck, kids eat it!

I've had some make it and others not. It's a toss-up. good luck..[​IMG]

5. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Nail polish as well as that liquid skin stuff have been used by people, too.
    Ive even heard of duct tape.

Elmers glue could harbor bacterial nasties, so be careful.

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  6. ArizonaDesertChicks

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    Thanks everybody - I guess I'll leave it and see what happens. I sure hope it (and the other eggs) survive.

7. ArizonaDesertChicks

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    It didn't survive after all. I checked on the eggs tonight and it was underneath the hen, broken - she had egg on her feet (didn't eat it or its shell) and there was some egg remains on two other eggs. I cleaned up the other two - hopefully they're okay. I also replaced all the shavings and placed a towel under them so that hopefully we won't get any more cracked eggs.

Now.. I think fixing a cracked egg meant for the incubator is fine, but not for placing under the hen. I think the weight of a hen is too much for a compromised egg shell.

8. kbmead

kbmead Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2008
    Bainbridge Is., WA
    Superglue works! I have used it on cracked eggs a few days before they were ready to hatch, and the chicks came out fine. One had an underdeveloped eye, but she is fine and our favorite, tamest hen. I just put it gently over the cracks, and held it until the glue dried, then put back under the hen. I'm sure it depends on how severe the cracks are.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by