1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

One of my gals is getting picked on....bad...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Aunt_Nancy, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Aunt_Nancy

Aunt_Nancy Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2010
    ...or should I say pecked on! Poor think has LOTS of missing feathers around her neck/throat area, and her tail feathers are broken off. At first I thought perhpas lice or mites, but I caught her and saw no signs. In watching the girls (8 total) she is definitely getting pecked on. What do I do? My coop/run is 120 sq ft, so seems to be big enough, but do I need to make it bigger? No roosters, only girls. Got them all at the same time and they have lived happily together until now. They will be 1 year old May 5th.
    Thanks for the advice.....

2. LaurelRidgeDreams

LaurelRidgeDreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    I have had the same problem twice. Both times I increased the protein level by switching layer feed to one with some animal protein. I also used blu note on the bare spots. This worked for me.

3. KimM

KimM Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2011
    I had some minor pecking issues going on so I upped their protein a little (threw in some cat food once in awhile, and gave them a can of tuna every week- they loved that). I did the blue kote thing too and that really seemed to help. Good luck!

4. MedfordChick

MedfordChick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2010
    Have you changed their diet at all? We were feeding our hens a laying mix. When we went to buy more, the store we get our feed from was out of laying mix, so we had to buy a bag of brioler feed. Within days, they were irritable and our littlest hen was getting picked on. When we finally were able to get our regular feed, the pecking stopped.

5. Urbanfarmerkc

Urbanfarmerkc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Raytown, MO (BY KCMO)
    Great suggestions here. When my birds get picked on, I remove her for a bit and let her get her health back up to par. She is most likely the lowest on the "pecking" order so that is why she is getting the brunt of it. If you do what the others have suggested and pick up your protein level and then give her a little time you should be fine. Also some advice before putting her back in. Don't just throw her in, wait until night, slip her in with the other girls and spray everyone down with vinegar water. Chickens are smell oriented and when new chickens come into the coop, disguising they smell is a great way to help them get acclimated. Your girl will likely smell different when you put her back so, you don't want to invite them to beat her up.

Hope this helps and good luck.

6. Aunt_Nancy

Aunt_Nancy Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2010
    Thanks everyone!! I ran out and got a can of tuna today and have never seen them go crazier for a food. They couldn't get enough and the pecked on one (K..short for KFC) seemed to want it the most?! Is one can a week enough for 8 chicks or should I do two cans? Have some blue note that I'll apply tonight. If she doesn't improved in 2 weeks or so I'll try to separate her out, but since I lack a big cage etc....that is more of a challenge. Appreciate all the tips. Cheers, Nancy

7. Urbanfarmerkc

Urbanfarmerkc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Raytown, MO (BY KCMO)
    I use a higher protein feed when they need it. I'd suggest this instead of tuna. I like the flock raiser the most. Some of the old farmers say you need to use animal protein for this very reason. Maybe it is right. I don't have a problem as long as I let my hens out from time to time.

Dave

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by