One of my Girls did not come home with the Flock last night......

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by christmaschicken, Apr 9, 2009.

1. christmaschicken

christmaschicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    Christmas, Florida
    We free range our flock during the day only I let them out in the a.m. and than they get locked in at dark.

My EE did not show up with her flock last night, she is always the first one in the coup, I started to panic when It became dark and everyone was in but her, I spent 4 hrs looking everywhere for her.
    [​IMG]

She never showed up.... I am so very sad she was my baby!! My first egg my first Hen, I just loved her to pieces.... I keep praying when I get home from work today she will just be there..... I did notice last week that we have a little red tailed Hawk now in our area, we live on 5 Acres in a pretty rural area and they only ever venture to the neighbors horse pasture.

Come home Goldie.......... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  3. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    I'm so sorry christmaschicken! Predators always seem to take our favorites. Hugs.

4. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    So sorry to hear about your loss. Maybe she's just being broody on a secret nest somewhere [​IMG]
    When choosing to free range we must brace ourselves because they are so much more at risk; but oh so happy out there doing their chicken thing. We lost 2 to hawks early on, now the rooster is one wary boy and lets nothing (not even airplanes) fly over without warning his girls. I do, however, know the drill of hours of flashlight searches for missing birds...and they just sit there all quiet, even when you shine the light right in their eyes. Then you pick them up and they start cooing. Silly girls.

5. christmaschicken

christmaschicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    Christmas, Florida
    Yeah I have a HUGE RIR (Rooster) he is very protective usually will not let them wonder off too far from him... he was really anxious to get into the coup however so I hope whatever happend it not happen in front of them all....

I am going to build a huge run now.... I feel terrible....

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  6. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    I hope so very much that you will find her and that she is okay. [​IMG]
    She may be injured, unable to get to you (I had this happen once - my roo was attacked by a fox, I found him with a major search and he got better after med care and lots of TLC) or maybe just maybe she got stuck somewhere (e.g. any buildings nearby that she could have gone in and then someone shut the door?).
    Please keep us posted.[​IMG]
    JJ

7. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    The 2 times I had hens taken, the flock ran and hid. I could hear them all having an communal fit where they were, but they didn't come running like they usually do when I walk out back. Instead, I had to go find them and then they came out. I guess they figure I am the best hawk protector ever and could come out safely. Of course when I see or hear such things I now start looking around for a carcass [​IMG]

8. Country Guy John

Country Guy John Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    Is it possible that she has been laying eggs in a secret hiding place when you let them out to free range during the day and has now gone broody?

That could be a possibility. Maybe her motherhood clock is ticking.

9. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    Come home Goldie! [​IMG]

10. Peeper7

Peeper7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Northeast Ohio
    So Sorry Chrismaschicken. Hope for the best.
    Many years ago I lost a little banty hen and searched for days. We lived in the southern Calif desert at the time and there was really NO place to hide except for a few bushes in open area.
    We had coyotes and assumed that is what took her.

To my surprise she showed up weeks later with 13 chicks! Several hens were laying in her hiding spot (still don't know where that was) and she hatched them all. Hope the same for you!

We have hawks also, but so far have never lost anything to them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by