one of my girls died for no apparent reason

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cuddlebug, Dec 22, 2014.

1. Cuddlebug

Cuddlebug New Egg

Jun 26, 2014
    Yesterday when I checked on the girls everyone was fine and clucking and doing their chicken thang. Today when I went out to feed my girls one of my 6 month old girls, Falco, was laying on her back with her feet in the air and her neck all stretched out and weird looking. My fiance took a likeing to her when they were babies and in the house so I told him it was a different chicken that died. He's a baby and can't tell the difference between the girls.
    Theres a farm dog that comes around and diggs a whole under my coop to set the chickens free. The dog has never harmed them but has set them free and played with them. Its the weirdest thing I've ever seen. The dog hasn't been around for a few weeks and my fiance pointed out if it was an animal who had tried to get to the chicken she would've been pulled out and there would be other marks on her.
    As far as I could tell there were no leasons or blood anywhere. It was just her out stretched weird neck so I'm thinking she broke her neck. I have no idea how or why or what to do to prevent this.

2. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    My hens did this once before.I am thinking it was bad breathing,or eternal stress.
    Over the years I came to learn that birds can hide being sick/stressed.They hide it so well,they act as if everything's going smooth.Not 1 small flinch,of being sick.

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    They do hide it very well. A few months ago my rooster just flipped over and died! There was nothing wrong with him. He was in the pen with the girls.

The strangest things happen . The only true way to know is a necropsy.

4. Cuddlebug

Cuddlebug New Egg

Jun 26, 2014
    OK so here's something weird today a second girl was found dead. She was in the same spot the first girl was but she had her feet tucked under her and she looked like she was sleeping. Last night she was out of the coop and the three remaining girls were staying away from her. She had her neck pulled in and all her feathers like puffed out and looked like a ball. I just assumed she was attempting to lay an egg. I've had the girls for 6th months now. How likely is it that they could be sick with something? Could it be possible that the girls died from different causes 4 days apart and in the exact same place? What should I look for in the other three?? I'm really worried

5. Cuddlebug

Cuddlebug New Egg

Jun 26, 2014

Necropsy? Like doing an autopsy? I just had another die :(

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Yes. Every state has an animal disease lab, usually a small fee. Check my link below for "How to send a bird for necropsy" that was put together by Casportpony. It's got some labs listed as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by