one of my girls died :-(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by freshfish, Sep 18, 2011.

1. freshfish

freshfish Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2011
    South of San Antonio
    This is my first post and I regret its a question about the death of one of my hens. My Blue maran died suddenly and I noticed she had blood on her bottom, not sure if it was from her butt or where the egg comes from. Please excuse the dumb question but are there two different orafices? Also, anyone have any idea what would cause her to die? Their coop is about 80% shaded, always has fresh water, once a week Avia Charge 2000, just started the ACV a couple weeks ago, feed layer pellet, they have access to grit, and oyster shell, treats are BOSS, Yogurt, dried Meal Worms, Live Meal worms, scratch...all my girls look health and happpy. I successfully performed the Bumble Foot surgery on another of my girls thanx to the great information available here on this site and she is doing great. I just started with my flock around june so I am a newbie. Before i purchased my girls, I sprayed down the coop wiht PE, I also just put down some food grade DE, and some 5% Sevin dust around the outside perimeter of the coop/run as a preventitive. They are strictly confined 16ft by 16ft area. I dont see any fleas/tick/mite problems on feathers. I have 11 hens now :-( (2 BRocks, 2 RIR, 2 buff orps or minorcas or leghorns cant tell, one exchequer, one olive egger i think, one blue americuana, one california white and one black austrolop or Jersy giant can tell) and no rooster. I will post picture of the hens I am unsure of and hopefull you experts can help me identify them. Any advice to help me not loose another girl would greatly be appreciated. I get about 6-8 eggs from them daily, dont think all of them are laying yet, have not seen an olive egg yet but she might not be an OE.

Sorry if this post is long winded, just trying to give as much info as possible.
    I live in San Antonio, Texas.
    John Salazar

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    First off [​IMG] sorry you lost one of your girls!! [​IMG] Yes there are two different orafices. Sorry I can't help you with the reason she might have died. Hope you can get it figured out!!

3. mamabigbird

mamabigbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Vancouver Island, B.C.,
    Hello and welcome to BYC.
    I am so sorry it is for such a sad reason.
    There are no dumb questions here. This is how we learn.
    There is only one orifice on the back end of a chicken.
    Called the cloaca (sp?), it is where the feces/urine comes from as well as the egg.
    Bleeding from the vent could be a myriad of things from internal parasites, diseases to internal egg-laying.
    Hopefully others with more knowledge will pipe in to help you.
    It sounds like you have tried to prevent problems with vigilant care, but, sometimes our hens get sick and die no matter how well we tend to them.
    This too is part of the learning process.

4. mamabigbird

mamabigbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Vancouver Island, B.C.,
    Quote:OOPS! Did I give the wrong info? I was sure there was only the cloaca.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    I guess I'm still learning too.

5. freshfish

freshfish Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2011
    South of San Antonio
    I also forgot to mention all hens are in their first year of age is what i was told...and none show signs of resparitory problems

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  6. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    1 orifice. Internally it closes off one side or the other depending on whether the chicken is defecating or laying an egg. It wasn't such a dumb question after all if 2 others aren't sure [​IMG]
    To the OP-had you wormed them? With what? I keep seeing where people say they've "wormed" their chickens when in reality they've only used Wazine/Piperazine which only takes care of roundworms, nothing else. It sounds like you're pretty knowledgeable about your chickens and I'd be surprised if it were anything you had done wrong.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by