One of my girls is a ROO!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Grand-hen-ma, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Grand-hen-ma

Grand-hen-ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Hudson Florida
    Ok this has to be impossible. The other day my Roo found his voice for the first time. We have him and 2 smaller girls in a cage all their own because the bigger girls would pick on them and pluck all their pin feathers out. We didn't want Rooster to be alone in the cage so we put 2 girls in there with him to keep him company. This morning, my hubby calls me and tells me one of the girls is a ROO. That he/she is now jumping up on the roost and crowing like Rooster. My hubby said that, "her name was Taffy" now had a small comb on top of her head, and larger feet than the other girl. Can chickens mimic each other? How can she develop a comb in 3 days? And there has been no fighting between any of the 3 in the same cage. I have to go to work today..POO... so I can't stop by and see for myself. But I will tomorrow.

Thanks for any help
    Colette

2. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    How old are they? If they are still around 3-4 months or a bit more, it could be it took longer to develop. But some hens will do a crow and become the dominant hen, but usually that happens when they are older.

3. Grand-hen-ma

Grand-hen-ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Hudson Florida
    The younger ones are about 4 months. I might have to introduce the other smaller girl to the bigger ones. I'll see how this work when get there on Tuesday. Thanks again

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by