One of my girls is acting sluggish

Peplynn

In the Brooder
Jan 17, 2023
My hens are approximately 18 to 19 weeks old as of March 14, 2023. This breed is to start laying about 22-24 weeks old. Approximately two weeks ago one of my girls started acting like she didn't want to be around the others. A couple of those days out of the two weeks she did not even wanna come down out of the coop. She is still getting food and water. But she just wants to sit on the ground. And a couple of times I noticed when she went to get up and walk she wobbled a little bit, not constantly but just when she first would get up, a couple of times. I have no clue what to do. I did put electrolytes, vitamins, Apple cider vinegar and some Corid in their water about a week ago. I just wanted to wait and see how that affected her and it didn't seem to help much. I have picked her up a few times to take her out of the coop and put her down in the run where all the water and food is and she felt very light and thin. Please help!

I did put electrolytes, vitamins, Apple cider vinegar and some Corid in their water about a week ago. I just wanted to wait and see how that affected her and it didn't seem to help much.
Welcome To BYC

Can you please post photos of the pullet, her legs/feet and of her poop?
What do you feed, including treats?
Check her over for lice/mites, see that her crop is emptying overnight.
Sounds like she's not coming out to eat/drink, so you will want to make sure she's getting to eat and drink.

Coccidiosis does come to mind in a younger bird. If you mixed the Corid with vitamins that contain B1(Thiamine) this will likely make the medication ineffective.
Getting a fecal float through your vet can tell you if you need to treat her.

Work on hydration, then offer some wet feed.
If you can get video of her actions that would be good too - upload video to YouTube and provide a link, the BYC upload does not work.

Welcome To BYC

Sounds like she's not coming out to eat/drink, so you will want to make sure she's getting to eat and drink.

Coccidiosis does come to mind in a younger bird. If you mixed the Corid with vitamins that contain B1(Thiamine) this will likely make the medication ineffective.

If you can get video of her actions that would be good too - upload video to YouTube and provide a link, the BYC upload does not work.
First thing in the morning I'm going to change out the water and just put ACV and the Corid in this time. She is eating and drinking mostly in the afternoons. I know one of the hens poop is very soft almost runny. I'm assuming it's hers. I may isolate her in a dog crate, (I have to go buy one) and keep her on my enclosed patio so I can keep a better eye on her, until she is better. I am feeding them 16% and 17% mix for food and mealworms as treats.
They have been vaccinated for Mareks and Fowl Pox.
The rest of our flock is fine. IDK what lice or mites look like. And IDK what her crop is. We are first time chicken owners.

Last edited:
First thing in the morning I'm going to change out the water and just put ACV and the Corid in this time. She is eating and drinking mostly in the afternoons. I know one of the hens poop is very soft almost runny. I'm assuming it's hers. I may isolate her in a dog crate, (I have to go buy one) and keep her on my enclosed patio so I can keep a better eye on her, until she is better. I am feeding them 16% and 17% mix for food and mealworms as treats. The rest of our flock is fine. IDK what lice or mites look like. And IDK what her crop is. We are first time chicken owners.
I would leave out the ACV. I know it is meant to help with things, but in my experience it doesn't help, it can even make things worse.
Mites look like this
P3121282.JPG
lice are slightly bigger, longer, and pale brown.
Both live on the chickens, but mites come out from the coop at night, and lice live on the chickens all the time.
The crop is on the right side of the chest on chickens, and is the first place food is stored.
Have a feel of a healthy chicken after they have been eating, and you should be able to feel it.

No sign of mites or lice. I did reading on
COCCIDIOSIS
See more at: http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/coccidiosis

Seems she has all those symptoms. The dog crate is supposed to be here tomorrow March 16th, this way I can isolate her and take special care of her. And know exactly how much she's eating & drinking. I will only put the Corid in her water. I just pray it I didn't wait too late.
I just hope I didn't wait too late to try and figure this mess out.
Thank you for your help I really appreciate it. Also if you would say a prayer for Tiffany that she gets better and none of the rest of my girls get it.

I just did a thorough clean on their coop and run today. Also I gave them freshwater with JUST corid in it. They also had Corid in it the last time I changed their water, but that batch had ACV, electrolytes and vitamins in it along with the Corid.
I just want to keep a close eye on her. So I'm gonna isolate her so I can pamper her. And this way I can keep much better track of exactly what she's eating and drinking. Because I had noticed the others girls seem to be bullying her as well.

Welcome To BYC

She has progressively gotten worse this is the first time that her poop has looked like this... and I'm sorry for the yucky photo, but you wanted to see what it look like. I am trying to hand feed her, but she won't eat. I'm also administering water the same way. It's got the Corid, electrolytes, vitamins (no B-1 Thiamine). She is drinking a little at a time. She still can not stand. Barley holds her head up just lays on her side.

Attachments

• IMG_5060.JPG.jpeg
    IMG_5060.JPG.jpeg
    429.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5062.jpg.jpeg
    IMG_5062.jpg.jpeg
    368.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I'm also administering water the same way. It's got the Corid, electrolytes, vitamins (no B-1 Thiamine).
That is a lot of blood in the poop.
Does she have any injury, was she vent pecked?

Omit everything from the water except for the Corid. No electrolytes, no vitamin, just Corid in the water.

I'd also be sourcing some Toltrazuril or a Sulfa antibiotic and begin treating her with one of those as soon as you can get it.

Provide her with a dish of water, so she can drink well or if you need to, syringe the medicated water into her. Drinking a little at a time is not going to do much, get the meds into her.

That is a lot of blood in the poop.
Does she have any injury, was she vent pecked?

Omit everything from the water except for the Corid. No electrolytes, no vitamin, just Corid in the water.

I'd also be sourcing some Toltrazuril or a Sulfa antibiotic and begin treating her with one of those as soon as you can get it.

Provide her with a dish of water, so she can drink well or if you need to, syringe the medicated water into her. Drinking a little at a time is not going to do much, get the meds into her.
No injury. Where would I get the Sulpha antibiotic or the toltrazuril for coccidia in chickens? Also she can't even hardly hold her head up, she can't stand either. How do I get the meds into her?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom