1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

One of my girls is dead...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by allig8r, Nov 17, 2007.

1. allig8r

allig8r Chillin' With My Peeps

She apparently got caught in the egg "trap" in the coop. The nesting boxes have a slanted floor and at the back of the nest boxes is about a 2" opening--where the eggs roll back through so I can get them through a door.

I went to check the egg door today and stopped to "chat" with the ladies in the run before opening the door. I noticed that Henrietta wasn't there and excitedly wondered if she was laying an egg (only 2-3 of our 9 girls are laying, but I don't know who!).

I opened the egg door and saw Henriettas feathers and thought there were alot visible and then I saw it: She had tried to crawl through the egg trap and got stuck. She got her head and a wing through and the wing got caught around on the wall between the nest boxes--so when she tried to back out... she couldn't. I'm guessing she suffocated.

I cannot even believe how upset I am. Dh went out and removed her. He said the other 8 seemed completely unphased and were eating. I'm just beside myself.

I can't even imagine what she was doing...? There were no eggs in her nest or in the egg drop from that nest. Any ideas? I know that they often sleep in the nest boxes. I wonder if another hen pushed her in and she was looking for somewhere else to go? I don't know. These are our first pullets/hens and we've had them since they're chicks. And this is the first one we lost.

[​IMG]

2. Lagracie88

Lagracie88 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2007
    I am so sorry to hear that! I can only imagine how sad you feel right now. I will be thinking of you!

3. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Oh my goodness, i'm so sorry. You must be devastated. It sounds like such a fluke accident.

So sorry!

4. Jemjoop

Jemjoop Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2007
    Caledonia, IL
    I'm sorry [​IMG]

5. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    :aww sorry 4 ur loss..

6. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

7. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Oh, allig8r, I'm sooooo sorry!!!! Stacey

8. IHeartChickens

IHeartChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    Pacific NW
    allig8r, My heart goes out to you. I am so sorry for your loss.

9. cockadoodlemom

cockadoodlemom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2007
    Texas
    Sooooo Sooorrrrryyyy! [​IMG]

10. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Stuff like that always make me sick to my stomach when it happens-it happens to everyone once or twice...but accidents do happen. My husband always reminds me that this is one of the downsides of livestock.....it seems like we lose more of them.

Sorry about your bird.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by