1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

One Of My Girls Is Missing :(

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mak, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Mak

Mak Songster

Dec 12, 2009
    Londonderry, NH
    It's the smallest Dominique- Smidge. The one that was weak at first and that I put in her own brooder and hand fed till she got some strength.

They've been in the coop almost a week, and have been outside in a makeshift pen for a few days now. Locked down in the coop at night, of course. I know the pen is not 100% escape proof, so I've been checking on them frequently. Last time I checked this evening, all 10 were in the coop. The automatic pop door had not closed yet, but I knew it would soon. Next time I checked, there were only 9 on the roosts and Smidge was nowhere to be found! We looked everywhere- in the nest boxes, up in the rafters, across the top half in the shed part of the building. No Smidge. We looked outside, and called her, but she is not one who will come to you willingly. She must have found a way to push herself out of the pen where it's not quite perfectly secure. I only hope she's found a good spot to hunker down for the night. We'll keep the outside lights on the coop and shed on bright tonight and keep checking. I hope she will come back looking for food in the morning. [​IMG]

2. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Songster

Feb 5, 2009
    Oh no! Here's hoping she gets home safely! [​IMG]

When my hen went missing all I could do was make the call for "snack time" and look through all the bushes in the yard. It sounds like you've done all of that. If it helps any, I had a hen missing for two whole nights, scared me out of my whits, and came running up to me at treat time on the third day. . . from the mint patch less than two hundred feet away! Hopefully your Smidge will come back in the morning, too!

3. scarter

scarter Songster

Aug 22, 2008
    Roberts, WI
    We've had hens missing before in the coop. One I remember clearly. After looking all over the yard with flashlights and up in the trees we could find her. Then come morning there she was sitting on the fenceline. Hope the same thing happens to you.

4. Ms~Silkie~Girl

Ms~Silkie~Girl Songster

Feb 7, 2009
    New York STATE
    Im so sorry! i hope she comes back!! One time I counted wrong and thought i was missing a bird and i freaked out, but then i recounted and it was all good. I think she'll come home tomorrow looking for food, and her buddies! good luck!

5. fishermans wife

fishermans wife Songster

Sep 2, 2009
    Ventura County
    I had on go missing once...we all sat at the table crying 'cause she was our favorite. The next morning, there she was....running up to me a bit dirty but I was so happy to see her! To this day I have no idea where she was, but I hope the same happens to you! Don't give up hope yet!

6. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Songster

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    One or other of my very free range hens sometimes stay out at night.....always worrying, but so far they have always turned up a bit bedraggled and very hungry next morning.

i hope yours does too.

Good Luck,
    sandie

7. The Tinman

The Tinman Songster

Jun 10, 2010
    Fairfield County CT
    My are free range and one day while I was there feeding them treats a dog came by chased them all over the place. The dog chased the chickens I chased the dog. The dog finally was able to snatch one of my girls. I yelled and he droped her. I stopped chasing the dog and picked up Mishil(Just happend to be my fav) I put her in the coop.She was ok just exhausted and scared. Now I had to look for the others and do a head count. I had 2 groups, 1 group of 12 the other 4. Somebody was missing but I could not really be sure because the girls were hidding in the bushes and it was hard to count. No matter what I tried they would not come out. I looked everywhere I talked out load hoping she would hear my voice and come to me. After about 2 hours she came back. Believe it or not it was the others chirping made her come out from hiding.

8. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Crowing 9 Years

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I got birds that are late to go in. Maybe she got locked out and is hiding somewhere. Had one I thought was gone show up the next day. Two got locked out a couple of nights ago and I didnt' know it til the moring. I head count most of the time.

9. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Songster 8 Years

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Any sign of her??? I hope you find her soon.

10. Mak

Mak Songster

Dec 12, 2009
    Londonderry, NH
    No. [​IMG] She did not show up at all today. We are thinking she's a loss. Poor Smidge. I keep hoping we'll go out there and find her desperately trying to get back in the coop....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: