one of my girls is missing.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by newchik715, Jul 27, 2010.

1. newchik715

newchik715 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Washington
    My favorite EE from a little chick is not in the coop tonight. I have been having trouble rounding them up and so they have putting themselves away. The neighbors report seeing her on their car but I can not find her in any tree or any favorite spot in the yard. I searched the neighbor's trees as well and can not find her. Our predator count is pretty low. One raccoon in four years...nothing else so far. Do you think she is hiding somewhere? What do chickens do at night if they get seperated from the rest of the flock? Do you think she could still be alright. I am so scared for her and if i think about what could be happening to her......any thoughts please.....

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  2. petesgirl

petesgirl Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2010
    Seattle
    So sorry you are worried. A friend of mine had a young hen missing for 2 nights. She finally appeared one morning. Your EE might have found a nice safe spot to wait out the night.

3. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Good luck! One of my girls mysteriously disappeared a few months back for a night, and the next morning she was outside of the coop wanting to be let back in. I hope your little girl turns up, too. [​IMG] It's impossible not to worry about them!

4. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Where are you in Washington? The city of Seattle has a very large Raccoon population.

5. savingdogs

savingdogs Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm in Washington too, but I know I have tons of predators. My favorite hen did not come back from free ranging about two months ago. She never did come back. I hope you have better luck. We also had a report that ours was seen a half mile or so from the house....or at least a chicken like her, but we don't really know what happened. [​IMG] I still look for her.

6. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Hi, I live in Wales, so predators mainly limited to buzzards, crows, kites and foxes.

I currently have a hen who is staying out every night (I think she has found somewhere really sheltered to sleep). She is pretty well feral now only coming back in the morning to steal a bit of goat and cat food. This has been going on for a few weeks.

Another hen I have always sleeps outside on the dog's outside bed.

Both hens seem to have a survival strategy (to date anyway!)

Hopefully your hens will find their way back to you as clearly they do have some capacity for survival,

Sandie

7. newchik715

Aug 31, 2009
    Washington
    She was standing outside the gate this morning, I may have to clip her wings but she is fine. And I am in Northern Washington in a residential area. We have honestly only ever seen the one raccoon. I know that doesn't mean there are not more but predator count is still very low where I am. I thank God it is too bc my girl came home safe!

8. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I'm glad you found her. My EE girls have been very broody, have you been getting eggs from her or is it possible that she's got a nest hidden somwhere? Mine often do a test run on the nest overnight before going full blown broody...Get those wings clipped.

9. Ruth Ann

Ruth Ann Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    South Carolina
    Glad she came home [​IMG]

10. newchik715

Aug 31, 2009
    Washington
    She hasn't even begun to lay yet.....I plan to clip them all as I am too worried she will lead a chicken revolution and the neighbor's dog is seriously hoping this occurs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by