1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

One of my girls is on strike . . .

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fargosmom, Jan 8, 2010.

1. fargosmom

fargosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    and I can't figure out why. We have 4 hens, 2 BR's and 2 EE's, and they've all been laying since June, pretty regular. The EE's went through a molt at the end of summer, so it was expected that they would stop laying - but only one has started up again. I know for sure because the one that's slacking is the only one who lays green eggs - and I'm missing my green eggs, gosh darn it! She's the biggest one, but lowest on the totem pole - everyone picks on her a little. But she's very well-fed, her feathers look great, her eyes are bright and her behavior seems completely normal. Meanwhile the BR's are cranking out 1-2 a day, and the other EE lays about every 2-4 days (she was never as prolific). What gives? Is there anything I can do to get her jump-started, or do I just have to wait for longer days?
    And BTW they all turned 1 year old this week - happy birthday chickie girls!!! [​IMG]

2. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I had this same problem The most common answer was that EEs are moody! Yes, you read that right. They decide when they will lay and for no good reason they take a vacation. [​IMG] I have two, and the only thing consistent about them is if one starts or stops laying you can count on the other one to follow suit in a few days or so. Sorry, I know that is not the answer you wanted [​IMG]

3. FortWorthChicks

FortWorthChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I have 3 ee's that are laying and I get at least two a day from the three of them. One hasn't started yet. I use a timed light that gives them 10 hours of darkness. I figure thats a good nights rest!

4. fargosmom

fargosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    Sooo. . . . chickenchick - taking a 4+ month vacation is somewhat normal? I really don't begrudge them - the whole point of having them is to NOT be eating eggs from battery chickens forced to produce on a daily basis. And she's really sweet, and the other girls pick on her a bit so I think she deserves some slack. I just kinda wonder if, when and how she's gonna start up again. Sounds like it's entirely up to her. Guess it's a good thing I like her! Plus she's so sweet - she knows I protect her when I'm out with them - I chastise the BR hen that torments her the most - so she'll walk right up to and under the "Rake of Doom" while the BR girl goes running when she sees it. Who says chickens aren't smart?! [​IMG]
    Anyway thanks - I guess I'll just have to be patient.

5. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Believe it or not it is normal! Mine took a 6 month vacation once! Then they laid faithfully for several months, then molting! Everyone quit laying! So you are doing the right thing, be patient and keep telling her how sweet she is! [​IMG] Before you know it she will be laying again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by