One of my girls is sick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RobJones, Oct 26, 2014.

1. RobJones

RobJones Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2014
    Bohol Philippines
    One of my girls is sick, she stays perched in the coop all day she does'nt eat or drink, there are vo other visisble signs of illness, anyone here maybe help me and tell me what I can do. [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How old is she? Has she been wormed lately? Is she having any diarrhea? Some hens will hang in the coop if they don't feel well, or are bullied. Some of mine are molting now, and will be slow in coming out. I would inspect her skin for lice and mites. Check her crop in early morning to make sure that it is not full and hard, or full and puffy. Worm her with Valbazen 1/2 ml orally, and repeat in 10 days if she hasn't been wormed lately. She really needs fluids if she hasn't been drinking, so tube or crop feeding may need to be done. Coccidiosis is a disease from the soil that can cause puffing up, kethargy, not eating, and diarrhea. Corid or amprollium in the water would be the treatment fot that.

3. RobJones

Oct 4, 2014
    Bohol Philippines
    She is 6 months old I got 20 from a friend of mine and I think he knows less about chickens than I do, he's out of the country at the moment so I cant find out the history of the girls but I will follow your advise and let you know the result, by the way I just noticed she is very pale around one eye and the it's closed most of the time maybe this has something to do with it. thankyou so much for your help

4. RobJones

Oct 4, 2014
    Bohol Philippines
    She was better yesterday, eating and drinking with the others we will see what today brings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by