One of my girls is SO loud.....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ThinkingChickens, Jul 8, 2011.

1. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Okay, the egg song is quite something to hear, especially since all three of my girls lay at the same time. However, one of my girls is SO loud all the time. She just squawks and squawks. We live on a residential street, though we're still in a rural mountain community. My neighbors, thus far, have not complained and I'm allowed to have chickens. However, I can't help but worry when they are being so loud. Do you think it's just me because I'm newer to chickens and can hear everything or have you ever had to get rid of a chicken that wouldn't stop squawking?

2. ThinkingChickens

Feb 18, 2011
    Has anyone had this problem? Anyone with a particularly loud girl?

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I'm on 5 acres, so it's not an issue for me - besides, the roosters are louder. [​IMG]

My Barred Rock is mostly quiet, except when I go into the run - she feels she needs to chew me out for something. My welsummers are quiet UNTIL they lay an egg - then the whole world has to hear the egg song. (including my rooster) My loudest is probably my olive egger - she squawks for the longest time before she goes into the nesting box. It's like she wants everyone to know to clear out, cuz she's coming in to lay.

Is yours laying yet? Mine get really vocal when they are going to start laying, then they settle down more after. But the egg song is always loud.

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    My girls get loud if I've kept them in the pen most the day. They are spoiled and want to roam the yard so carry on. It lets me know if somethings wrong too. A few days ago they'd run out of water in the heat! Glad I don't ignore them completely.

5. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I'm on a residential street as well. I've had the same concerns about the neighbors that I don't know. Of course, they are really no louder than some dogs, but still... I have one whose song goes on a bit long after she's laid and is off the box and in the run. If I'm around I will usually give her a treat...could be just a handful of dandelions...and that distracts her

6. ThinkingChickens

Feb 18, 2011
    I let them out at 6:45 this morning. This one usually lays around 11am. She's been squawking since I let her out and it's now 8:30am. She's just being loud. The other girls are quiet. This one walks around the yard bagawaking. Gosh I wish I lived on 5 acres. Of course, then I'd want more chickens, and maybe a goat, and a couple sheep would be fun and and and. LOL

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  7. bullyforme

bullyforme Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Trololo farm
    I've heard if you don't have a roo, one of your girls may get really loud. My girls are really quiet though, but I have a rooster (cockerel, actually)

I'm residential, and I'm trying to keep my bantam roo, Elvis, but lately he's found a louder pitch and at around 6 AM...

I can't tell if he's just loud to me, as our coop is kind of up against our house and directly below my (2nd story) bedroom window. I don't exactly want to go ask my neighbors, you know? (better to ask forgiveness than permission, heh heh).

Our neighbor has an obnoxious beagle that howls and barks constantly and wakes me up every Sunday morning so I figured, tit for tat, if I don't complain about his dog then he won't complain about my roo.

8. bullyforme

bullyforme Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Trololo farm
    Yay Chicks! :

I'm on a residential street as well. I've had the same concerns about the neighbors that I don't know. Of course, they are really no louder than some dogs, but still... I have one whose song goes on a bit long after she's laid and is off the box and in the run. If I'm around I will usually give her a treat...could be just a handful of dandelions...and that distracts her

I do that too, when I hear him start up (or if the girls get too squawky), I run out there with a handful of bread crumbs, distracts them every time. [​IMG]

9. Sandy16

Sandy16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    Atlanta
    Let me guess, is it your Buff Orp? Our Buffs are extremely loud...almost sound like someone is torturing them! Our neighbors have a roo about 5 houses down (shh! don't turn them in...he is illegal) and when he crows, our Buffs get fired up and squawk back at him. I think they are trying to out-do him. LOL Our neighbors think that our girls are funny to hear, so right now it is good for us.

good luck!
    [​IMG]

10. ThinkingChickens

Feb 18, 2011
    Quote:Oh great, so it's going to get even worse when my Buff grows up? LOL. No, the Buff, Aust, and RIR are the babies. The loud one is my Delaware. I just went out and picked up each one and tried to talk to them about their noise level. Then I gave them scratch and two of my potted plants that weren't doing well anyway. Hopefully that shuts them up for a bit. Ugh, chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by