One of my girls is SO loud.....

Quote:
Oh great, so it's going to get even worse when my Buff grows up? LOL. No, the Buff, Aust, and RIR are the babies. The loud one is my Delaware. I just went out and picked up each one and tried to talk to them about their noise level. Then I gave them scratch and two of my potted plants that weren't doing well anyway. Hopefully that shuts them up for a bit. Ugh, chickens!

Maybe your Buff will be quiet if she has other competition.
fl.gif

I give our girls treats to shut them up too. BOSS works wonders!!!

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I'm just trying to be a good neighbor AND a chicken keeper. I wish everyone kept chickens and could see how fun they are. Then I'd never need to worry. We are the type of neighbors that don't really complain about things. However, some of my neighbors are more the complaining type.

I totally give treats to shut up the loud-mouths!!! Ginger, my New Hampshire is getting ready to lay, still waiting for the first one, but man, the second I step in to their yard I am being scolded for some untold horror that I have done. It is pretty annoying. That is when the treats come out, cause me going "Geez Ginger, shut up!" doesn't really work
big_smile.png

I have a 16 week buff orpington that is starting to make a pretty good racket. I sometimes worry about neighbors complaining because I live on a 1/5 of an acres in the middle of town. I mean in reality it isn't any worse than some dogs I hear, but the fact that it is a chicken seems like people would more likely complain.

I have two black australorps that start screaming bloody murder every morning just before sunrise to let me know that they want OUT of the coop. It's hard to describe the sound they make; sort of a loud, raspy screech. They won't let up until I let them out. Sometimes I hear it in my dream, then I wake up and realize it's coming from outside. Those two, Chamique and Black Jack, are the chattiest of all my girls. They're so full of personality, they crack me up:)

That's one thing I worry about. My girls are on 1/8 acre in a very residential suburb. Of course, there are two golden retrievers next door who bark at EVERYTHING so maybe I don't need to worry about my girls too much when the time comes. They are just shy of 12 weeks right now.

Last edited:
I have a buttercup that is so loud and sounds like someone is killing her. She is usually trying to get someone out of the nest she is interested in. I have thought about devoicing her, but don't know how to do that....she is too cute to get rid of.

I'm a member of the REALLY loud Buff Orpington hen club !
smile.png
Buffy gal took over some of the roo's responsibilities after the big guy died. It's weird seeing a hen do the dropped wing & dance thing. And she's definitely the morning cock-a-doodle-dool-er now. During the week, because I have to be at work so early, I wake them up a little after 4am when I feed & water & open pop doors. Sweet justice on weekends: there's no sleeping in for me. I can hear Buffy's hen crow just fine from my bedroom by 5:30 am. Don't mess with a chicken's routines!
smile.png

Maybe they're like Pavlov's dog, and they've trained me to come running whenever they start ba-gawking...
smile.png
(or does that make me like Pavlov's dog?!)
smile.png

Last edited:
7&8 :

Maybe they're like Pavlov's dog, and they've trained me to come running whenever they start ba-gawking...
smile.png
(or does that make me like Pavlov's dog?!)
smile.png

I had a sex link that did that. She'd sing the egg song at 6:30, I'd go running out checking for an egg (she was one of my first chickens and had just started laying) and nothing. I'd let them out and all would be quiet. Next morning - same thing!​

Back
Top Bottom