1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

One of my girls started laying!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by greenkjb, Nov 19, 2011.

1. greenkjb

greenkjb Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2010
    Three eggs so far. The yolks are unbelievably orange! The one who I think is laying them has become extra friendly as well. She follows me around and loves to be picked up. Anyone ever heard of a chicken becoming more affectionate once they start laying?

2. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    Totally have that same thing going on here.
    I have BO that pre lay NO WAY would she let me close enough to touch her. Now post lay she follows me while I am in the coop or run and insists on getting petted. She even managed to make it out the run door yesterday since she was so close on my heals.
    All of my hens want petted now and I find it surprising. I thought for sure they would not change in personality so much.
    Congrats on those eggies!
    [​IMG]

3. greenkjb

greenkjb Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2010
    Thanks citychix! Congrats to you too.

4. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    congrats! [​IMG] can't wait for my pullets to start laying. one of them squatted for me the other day, should be soon!

5. C17

C17 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2011
    Blythewood
    My BO was never that friendly before laying or after. She only likes me cuz of the treats.
    I HAD a RIR that was just as sweet as she could be until the dog got her.
    There is a glimmer of hope with my other girls which are 4 months old, out of 25, one might be friendly.

6. abbylane35

abbylane35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2011
    Lodi, New York
    Congrats! I love getting the first egg from one of the girls!

7. Darlasmum

Darlasmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2009
    La Crescenta, CA
    [​IMG] Yeah- any early Christmas present! Isn't it great?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by