One of my girls will not roost. Anyone have this issue?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kyckling66, Dec 23, 2012.

1. kyckling66

kyckling66 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2012
    Prairieville, LA
    I have 6 birds, all about 5-6 months in age. My red sex-link, will not roost but instead sits on the litter in the corner of the coop. All of the other girls sit roost on the perch. Does anyone know what she's doing this or how to fix it? She's laying eggs in the nesting boxes that are up high but insists on sleeping on the floor.

2. kacklinkelly

kacklinkelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2012
    Southwest Desert
    I have the same thing happening with our 3 chicks. We have an A frame tractor with approx 4 feet of roosting pole in the upper portion. Our chicks like to huddle together in a corner next tot he ladder. I assume that when they feel like it, they will move to the roost or not. I have placed food and water in the area closer to the roost in an effort to bribe them. So far, they still prefer the bare corner vs the area of pine shavings and roost bar. Go figure :>

3. ChickenGirl 19

ChickenGirl 19 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2012
    BC, Canada
    Ihave a mutt chicken that has the markings of a black sex link that won't roost either. I don't know if mine knows how to fly?

4. hollys chooks

hollys chooks Chillin' With My Peeps

There could are several possible reasons for not roosting.
    kacklinkelly, I'm pretty sure yours aren't because they are young, when i've had really young pullets they don't roost until they've gotten closer to egg laying.
    kyckling66, how many roosts are available to your birds? If she is being picked on by the other chooks (and someone is always getting picked on in a flock) she may just be trying to get away from the others. I only had 3 hens at one stage but one was so mean to the other two they would sleep on the floor. I had to put an extra roost in the coop.
    From what you have said, if she can get to the nest box she should be able to get to the roost but if you haven't already done so check her feet and legs for any sore spots.
    You could try putting her on the roost in the evening, when i do this with my chickens some stay there, some jump off straight away.

5. arcy liger

arcy liger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    mywhole flock does not roost (except my leghorn rooster)

6. kyckling66

kyckling66 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2012
    Prairieville, LA
    Thanks everyone for your replies. Hollys Chooks, there are several roosts available, but she doesn't seem to want to use them lately. Last night, all 5 of the others were lined up on one roost and the two others were available, but instead she was on the ground. I have a "chicken cam" that my husband installed because I travel a lot, and the night before when I saw her (on the cam) on the ground I had him lift her up and she did stay on the perch. However, last night she was in the same spot on the ground again. I will check her feet and legs though, that didn't occur to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by