One of my guineas is scared to go out through the door

LA~Poulet

Songster
13 Years
Apr 27, 2009
near Lake Charles, LA
out of our chicken tractor. Once out, it is scared to go back in. It hesitates, and cries for the others, and peeks through the door at the scary dilemma of the open space in the doorway, finally freaking out and flying through.

I knew they weren't the brightest, but this particular one is really high on the "special" scale
lol.png

Gotta love guineas. Our definitely aren't too bright either. I love when the door to the coop is open and they are next to the door, but can't figure out how to get in/out. Duh!
gig.gif

Maybe something happened bad to it while going through that door, they dont forget it is smart enough to know it HAS to go through that door, but will probably always be cautious of what may be on the other side.

It is said you can use a net to catch a guinea ONCE, because after that it will recognize the net and not let you close enough to get it.
old.gif

I do not believe that guineas are dumb. Between chickens and guineas I'd say the chickens are dumber. Guineas stay in a flock more so than chickens, and this is much smarter, safer, and EASIER for us when we need to herd them into their run.

As Marlinchaser said, maybe something once spooked him out of the coop. Guineas, I would say, are probably more sensitive then chickens. They remember more, I think. Once you get something imprinted on them it takes a bit to get it off.

I know my guineas act very stupid sometimes and I do think they're out of it acouple times, but overall I believe they're very smart birds.

I hope your guinea gets over his/her fear.

Thanks for your input-it didn't occur to me that he might associate the door with something painful or scary. The others just went right through, actually they were

It's good to know about only using a net once, I'll have to remember that.

Back
Top Bottom